584,802 active members*
4,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Changing the WCS

Hi,

Just wondering how it is possible to post out a post from a different WCS than what was used during calculation?

We are used to powermill where you can change which WCS you use and where it is. It's really useful when repositioning a part.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

asaf

You can thru Machine options depending on your post processor.

The standard Haas post that I received for solidcam use iworkoffset_Method. Enter1 for G54, 2 for G55 ect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coordinte1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by glovebox20 View Post
    You can thru Machine options depending on your post processor.

The standard Haas post that I received for solidcam use iworkoffset_Method. Enter1 for G54, 2 for G55 ect.
    will this only set the WCS code (G54, G55, etc) but still have exactly the same coordinate values? or will this set the WCS code and have different coordinate value as well? as far as I know, you will need to RE-CALCULATE everytime you change coordinate system in SolidCAM. In Powermill, you will not need to re-calculate the toolpath if you decide to use a different WCS, you simply post it out and get a new set of coordinates base on the new WCS selected.

Quote Originally Posted by MilanTristan View Post
    will this only set the WCS code (G54, G55, etc) but still have exactly the same coordinate values? or will this set the WCS code and have different coordinate value as well? as far as I know, you will need to RE-CALCULATE everytime you change coordinate system in SolidCAM. In Powermill, you will not need to re-calculate the toolpath if you decide to use a different WCS, you simply post it out and get a new set of coordinates base on the new WCS selected.
    Milan, the iWorkOffset is in some of the default post processors, so changing that number simply changes whether G54, G55, etc. is put in the code. If you physically want to move your '0,0,0' then SolidCAM needs to recalculate so it cuts the features where they are supposed to be instead of an "out-dated" home position offset. I imagine powermill also has to recalculate or change the operation coordinates, but probably does so very quickly or in the background if you do not notice it, before you post your G-Code.

No, powermill does not do re-calculation when changing your work coordinate origin.

Milan, I simply find that impossible to believe. If you indicate a 4" x 4" block on the bottom right corner (Top View) and tell it to drill a hole in the middle, that coordinate would be -2,2 but if you were to change that "Home" or "Work Coordinate Origin", to the top left (Top View) then the coordinate would change to 2,-2.

How, might I ask does PowerMill know you've changed your work coordinate without "Re-calculating"? (When I say re-calculate, I mean that the CAM program redefines the points of all geometrical moves created in the program, whether that be SolidCam, MasterCAM, powermill, etc.)

SolidCAM forces you to manually "Refresh" or "Re-calculate" the program, but who's to say other programs don't just "automatically" do this in the background?

If I am wrong Milan, please make a simple program like I've suggested above with a known drill point and then change the WCS. If the coordinate changes, then PowerMill "re-calculated". If not, then I'd be afraid to ever use PowerMill because it won't allow you to change wherever you put your work offset, even if the software showed you it changed. (HINT: I'm sure PowerMill will change the drill point coordinate. ;] )

let me clear some confusion. what we mean by re-calculation is not about the coordinates of the g-code but the toolpath. i believe that in SolidCAM, the steps would be (1) change the wcs for the operation, (2) re-calculate the TOOLPATH (which u can't skip), (3) after RE-CALCULATING the TOOLPATH, then u can post gcode. For Powermill (1) change ur WCS, (2) post gcode. NO NEED TO RE-CALCULATE TOOLPATH again. Of course, powermill re-calculates the coordinates base on the new WCS and gives u new gcode values 😁