Hey Guys,

We have a Haas SMM2 that is now out of warranty. It is a 2 year old machine. We had a HRT160H installed on it when we got it new. It has been on the machine ever since. Recently, we haven't been able to use the 4th axis. It is giving us a alarm 168. So the value for parameter 128 was setup as 30000 from when the haas guy installed it. Per our HFO we have been trying to input different values anywhere from negative 20000 to positive 300000. Nothing works, still gets the alarm. So I then pull the cover so I can see the prox switch come on and off during the zero return cycle. The light on the prox is lit up for about 355 degrees of the rotary cycle. Then when it trys to zero return it rolls around until the light comes off, then it backs up and then forward again. Depending on what the A Grid offset value I put in, it will either end up by coming all the way off of the switch or still stay on it. It all gives the same alarm. I then checked the diag page, and it is getting the bit value on or off, just like the switch is saying, so I know the control is reading what the switch is saying.

Haas says that quickest they can get out here is a week or more, and I have jobs to run.

They say there is a way for the control to find all of its own grid offsets, but you cant do a singular axis, and you then have to recheck all of the tool change height, etc.

I don't get why after a couple years of the machine being installed and running the fourth, that this would all of a sudden come up. I am leaning towards encoder.