585,981 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > What's the correct way to shut down your machine?

What's the correct way to shut down your machine?

What is the correct way to turn off your machine?
    Windows ---> Shut Down ---> turn Computer switch off ---> Main power off
    -or-
    Computer switch off ---> Main power off
    -or-
    Does it matter, either way?

dunno, but I do it like you mentioned at first.. Winbloze is hokey, so always want to pick shutdown before anything else.

The first way that way it saves your fixtures and such

I seldom shut the computer down. If I'm going to be gone for a week or more I'll shut it down, but most of the time I just hit the Estop button. Then in the morning when I start up again, I'll send the machine to the ZERO XYZ position, put in the right tool and hit cycle start.

I've been doing that for 2 1/2 years and it hasn't failed me yet.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Yes. it matters. This is a safety issue (for the 1100 at least).

Tormach has stated clearly that the power off sequence is machine power off first, then mach or mach/computer. If the computer and mach are not running (or are shut down first) there is some chance that you will encounter the dreaded head droop (Z axis slowly unwinds and the head drops). Doesn't happen all the time, or with every machine, but this is a sufficiently well known problem that Tormach lists it as a safety issue and has provided warning stickers. The sticker says "Danger! Power off: machine first, then computer. Power on: computer first, then mill." The computer should be running at all times when the mill is. I interpret that to mean that Mach should also be running anytime the mill is on.

So GLCarlson, the correct procedure would be:
    E-Stop machine (to stop all machine movement) --> Windows --> Shut Down --> Computer Switch off --> Main Power off ?

The typical sequence in a commercial machine, which also should be followed in non-commercial settings is:
    Power off all motors and output devices, VFD's, solenoids, disable or power down all drives etc via E-Stop or equiv, followed by closing down operating system, windows etc, then final disconnect of all power.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

There is a very good reason to do a complete shut down between uses it give the windows gremlins time to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    So GLCarlson, the correct procedure would be:
    E-Stop machine (to stop all machine movement) --> Windows --> Shut Down --> Computer Switch off --> Main Power off ?
    Yes, that's how I interpret the Tormach directions. E-stop to shut the machine down; then shut down Mach, then Windows, then the computer. I don't personally shut down main power; hitting e-stop opens the power relays, so while mains power continues to be available in the enclosure on one side of the relays, the start button has to be pressed to power the machine again. The main power switch is effectively a backup for what amounts to a magnetic starter as far as the machine goes. However, it does control the 120 volt utility power as well, so if one uses the utility outlets (computer, etc) then the main power switch needs to be turned off to de-energize those. (Comments apply to 1100/II- can't speak to 770, but probably the same.)

ALWAYS E-STOP FIRST. If your gibbs are lose it is possible for the head to fall. I turned off my machine with an endmill in the spindle. Forgot to hit the e-stop, the head dropped and put a nice gouge in my vice jaw/ broke a tool.

George, that is what the piece of PVC pipe is for--to put between the spindle and table when the head drops.

My shutdown sequence is: put PVC pipe in place, estop, shut down Mach3, shut down Windows, main power disconnect.

And I never press the greeen machine start button until Mach is started and sitting at the interface. At least with my parallel port, the coolant pump runs uncontrollably until the parallel port is initialized.

Randy (who has a 3-digit machine without Z brake)

I like the idea of a pvc pipe z break for my 4 digit machine. just in case
    Always great ideas and advice around here.
    md

I use a 3 x 3 block of oak for a just in case, I have the z brake, but hitting the escape key as the spindle is coming down can let the z stepper freewheel down.
    mike sr