585,996 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Emco F1 CNC mill school project
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Emco F1 CNC mill school project

Great to see progress! Thanks for sharing the photos. Does the speed controller have a manual pot to control speed?
    A lazy man does it twice.

Yes it does. So instead of the manual pot i will plug the controller in but i dont know how to configure it so that it will work... any tips ideas?

I believe if you trace the 3 wires going to and from that pot, you will find a 10v source (center tap of the pot IIRC). A simple switch to route that voltage source thru your spindle speed controller (Homann, CNC4PC and everyone else) offers different models based on what signals you require. Of course that voltage needs to be verified before continuing forward. The switch would give you the option of manual or computer controlled spindle speeds. This C6 would most likely work but of course everything needs confirming first. CNC4PC
    Then you configure your spindle in Mach.

Attachment 232386
    This is the speed control board and the power supply from the old emco... I already measured and the output to the pot is 7.9V to be precise. I know I have to plug it into the controllers analog output but I dont know how to configure the output in mach3. And the on/off switch for the motor control board is giving me a hard time but I will replace it with a contactor or a relay and control it via the mx3660 output but i dont know how to use outputs on the controler yet. Any tips?

Hey I'm diving into this today on my g0704. The mx3660 manual says what pins to use, I dunno what that translates to in mach. There was someone that just set up a vfd controller maybe they can be of help. When I find something I will post back.

Yes you can define the pins by yourself like the x axis is on pin 2 and the rotation for the x axis is on pin 3. I havent checked which pins are for the ouputs but thats easy I just dont know how to turn them on of in mach.

I am kinda in the same boat. I just bought and EMCO 1 and controller for my school's shop and was hoping to get it running with one of our school's computer with little to no changes to the controller. I would really like to use the old controller if possible. Or could any of you tell me if this could work with my F1 and a computer. I will try and post some pictures of what I have tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakar View Post
    For my school project I would like to retrofit Emco F1 mill with SainSmart CNC TB6560 3 Axis Stepper Motor Driver Controller([url=http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-cnc-tb6560-3-axis-stepper-motor-driver-controller-board-cable.html].

You could use the old stepper motor controller and make your own breakout board but I went for the controller because its easier to build.
    Here are some new picture of the spindle control. I switched the changeover switch with a 12V relay to make it fully automatic with the controller. I used 10 V power supply of the old electronics. Its a bit short but it changes contacts nicely so it works. I removed the amp meter because I dont need just by soldering the two wires together. I configured the changeover key switch that when turned on powers the spindle control board and the power supply for the controler. Now I just have to wire the 3 wires that used to go to the potentiometer to the analog output of the controler then fit everything into the housing of the machine and the project is almost complete.
    Attachment 235614Attachment 235616Attachment 235618Attachment 235620Attachment 235622Attachment 235624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-04-14 10.41.54.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	235626

I have a problem with the output 1#. I wired it to a 10 v dc power supply to power a relay and it worked untill today. It just stopped working and ewerything else seems fine I tried the relay manualy and the spindle started to turn I tried to short wire the connector and the relay made contact so the only problem could be the controller or the mach3 but I checked the configuration in mach and it was fine. The power supply is from the old emco and its supposedly 10V DC but when I measured it it was 14V DC but that isnt enough to destroy the output. Maybe the power supply spiked when I turned it on or something?

I have a problem with the output 1#. I wired it to a 10 v dc power supply to power a relay and it worked untill today. It just stopped working and ewerything else seems fine I tried the relay manualy and the spindle started to turn I tried to short wire the connector and the relay made contact so the only problem could be the controller or the mach3 but I checked the configuration in mach and it was fine. The power supply is from the old emco and its supposedly 10V DC but when I measured it it was 14V DC but that isnt enough to destroy the output. Maybe the power supply spiked when I turned it on or something?

So now I've seen a few people wire a relay to their spindle to turn it on. I have to ask why?

On my MX3660 I just have the three wires (P1,P2,P3) from the motor controller wired to the EGND, +10v and 0~10v connector on the mx3660. It acts just like the manual pot. I understand the switch to reverse the motor. I've got no relays or external power supplies for the spindle control via mach.

The only issue I am having is that I get about a 1 sec pulse at the motor controller the spins the spindle for that sec and then it stops when I first power up the electronics.

Andrew

Wiggles, do you use the charge pump feature? Or is there a charge pump in the MX3660 (there is I just looked at the manual). My understanding is this stops ANY outputs prior to Mach or other electronics being started or turned on.

I dont know I just thought it was a good idea to do that. I thought it was necessary And so it wouldnt do what it does to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Wiggles, do you use the charge pump feature? Or is there a charge pump in the MX3660 (there is I just looked at the manual). My understanding is this stops ANY outputs prior to Mach or other electronics being started or turned on.
    Maybe? ( On the charge pump ) I am using the XML from cnc4pc . I tell you, I feel like such a noob with this stuff. But the ess seemed to fix the issue with all the motors stalling at once.

Where do I look for this? I may also have an issue with the kbmm-125 as I managed to make sparks while I was "bench testing" my electronics . Didn't realize the kbmm was still plugged in!

I dont know I just thought it was a good idea to do that. I thought it was necessary And so it wouldnt do what it does to you.
    I'm not saying its a bad idea, just trying to figure out why it's being done and if it makes any difference.

Andrew

I would answer if i had a straight answer. I dont know why I just saw a change over switch in there an I thought that must be necessary and replaced it with a relay so I wouldnt have to turn it on by hand all the time. But hey its a school project the school finances it and I learned so why not.

This is my wiring diagram. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shema_emco.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	236846

Hello
    I'm having an EMCO f1 for client fix.
    We want to take advantage of only the original spindle system.
    Someone has the wire connections diagram from the 111000 board to the 11200 board.
    I am very grateful if you will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucasfeil View Post
    Hello
    I'm having an EMCO f1 for client fix.
    We want to take advantage of only the original spindle system.
    Someone has the wire connections diagram from the 111000 board to the 11200 board.
    I am very grateful if you will help.
    Would love to help and I will do my best but I'm not shure if I can. Never actually got to finish that machine...

What do you do with writing? I can’t be sure that nothing could be done to do it easier. I don’t like writing, and thus I would prefer to avoid it completely. So here is the question. I have heard that there is a couple of resource like essayshark reviews that could be relevant for this purposes. What do you think? I would say that I have no proof and want to get it. It sounds just perfectly nice and very convenient – explain to someone your topic and wait for the result.

Page 3 of 3 123