584,837 active members*
5,251 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Just ordered the last melon (Torus)
Page 3 of 21 1234513
    Here is the screen I made with machscreen.Attachment 224788
    I posted a short video on you tube, but its not for everybody.
    The problem I had with Mach3 screen sets is that everyone is big into 3D. From buttons to backgrounds.
    It continuously made me look and search for buttons. With this screen everything is quick and to the point.
    Besides that, I liked the old Omnicron look and feel that came with the original Tree mill.
    It would be perfect for a Touchscreen. Its not everybody's cup of tea.MyScreen - YouTube

Looks good.
    That is the beauty of Mach screen. You an make them as simple or as elaborate as want or need.
    For lathe, I found that the blue screen someone designed is excellent. No excess baggage in it. Nice, clean and simple.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Post some screen shots
    This is my current main screen. With the larger monitor, I want to add to it so I don't need to switch between it, MDI and OFFSETS. I'll combine SETTINGS and DIAGNOSTICS, and eliminate TOOL PATH since I'll have room to make the tool path window larger.

Attachment 224806
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Here is a shot of one I use on my plasma. I just basically redid Tom's original screens, so the buttons use all the same coding as his original.
    My little mill screen is similar. Same theme and many of the same buttons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by hjl4 View Post
    Here is the screen I made with machscreen.Attachment 224788
    I posted a short video on you tube, but its not for everybody.
    The problem I had with Mach3 screen sets is that everyone is big into 3D. From buttons to backgrounds.
    It continuously made me look and search for buttons. With this screen everything is quick and to the point.
    Besides that, I liked the old Omnicron look and feel that came with the original Tree mill.
    It would be perfect for a Touchscreen. Its not everybody's cup of tea.MyScreen - YouTube

HOLY CRAP. I like what I see here alot, maybe even enough that I could deal with Mach.

Does Mach3 give direct access to a tool/fixture offset table?

Quote Originally Posted by HawkJET View Post
    This is my current main screen. With the larger monitor, I want to add to it so I don't need to switch between it, MDI and OFFSETS. I'll combine SETTINGS and DIAGNOSTICS, and eliminate TOOL PATH since I'll have room to make the tool path window larger.

Attachment 224806
    I really like this set. Nice contrast, clear, and minimalistic. What size monitor do you have?

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Home - Fine Line Automation
    Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    What size monitor do you have?
    That one is a 15" with 1024x768 resolution. I am now working on my new 17" wide screen with 1440x900 resolution.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

The truck arrived around 12:30 PM yesterday. We live on a cul-de-sac and the driver, after initially driving up, changed his mind and backed out of the cul-de-sac and then backed up to our driveway.

Attachment 224926

That big crate is mine!

Attachment 224928

See how the wheels of the pallet jack are off the end of the liftgate? He did that while pulling the crate out onto the liftgate while IT WAS UP IN THE AIR. Found out later he did it on purpose, but I think I needed to change my shorts afterward.

Attachment 224930

It took both of us to pull the palletjack up the sloped driveway. The crate barely fit underneath the garage door. We had to push up the garage door to gain that last 1/2" to 1" of clearance. The crate looks huge in the garage, and dwarfs the G0704 mill.

Attachment 224932

Crappy pic due to the afternoon sun. I was able to snip the metal straps and remove the carp load of screws in less than five minutes in order to inspect for shipping damage. Luckily everything looked pristine after shipping.

Attachment 224934

Anybody else have trouble uploading photos to CNCZone today?

More pics to follow in a couple of hours.

Titaniumboy

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    HOLY CRAP. I like what I see here alot, maybe even enough that I could deal with Mach.

Does Mach3 give direct access to a tool/fixture offset table?
    Yes Mach3 gives you direct access to your tools(tool Table).

Thanks for the compliment. In this screen set I just wanted to recreate the old CRT colors and interface. It worked well with machscreen.
    You know how it is, when you're used to something, it's hard to change, especially when there was nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hjl4 View Post
    Yes Mach3 gives you direct access to your tools(tool Table).

Thanks for the compliment. In this screen set I just wanted to recreate the old CRT colors and interface. It worked well with machscreen.
    You know how it is, when you're used to something, it's hard to change, especially when there was nothing wrong with it.
    Not to be rude, especially as I probably wasn't entirely clear with my question anyhow.. but what about fixture/work offsets table? And I know.. "Not to be rude" is almost always followed by some rude comment, but I genuinely mean it..

Is this something you've made available online? I didn't read everything, just saw the screenshots and got a warm feeling inside..

Anybody else have trouble uploading photos to CNCZone today?
    Havent tried uploading pictures, but have been having odd issues where the forum keeps re-directing me to the main page instead of the page i'm clicking on.. getting annoying.

It's OK rlockwood, I learned a long time ago not to take anything so seriously that it affects your judgement.

In mach3 you have direct access to tool table and work offset if you need to. You can make adjustments in both as needed.

as for the screen set, I never thought any one would be interested enough for me to make it available online. If someone needs a copy, it's just a matter of sending them the files and bitmaps. From there they would have to install it in the proper mach3 folders.
    It took me a total of 2 days to make, as the flashing texts such as "Spindle ON' and Tool Change Required, had to be made in an image editor.

It's OK rlockwood, I learned a long time ago not to take anything so seriously that it affects your judgement.

In mach3 you have direct access to tool table and work offset if you need to. You can make adjustments in both as needed.

as for the screen set, I never thought any one would be interested enough for me to make it available online. If someone needs a copy, it's just a matter of sending them the files and bitmaps. From there they would have to install it in the proper mach3 folders.
    It took me a total of 2 days to make, as the flashing texts such as "Spindle ON' and Tool Change Required, had to be made in an image editor.

OOps

Havent tried uploading pictures, but have been having odd issues where the forum keeps re-directing me to the main page instead of the page i'm clicking on.. getting annoying.
    The 'Zone has been basically crashing periodically for several days. Sometimes it's wigged out for several hours at a time, during which some, or all, of the forums are inaccessible, or act weird. This very rarely happened before they switched to the new software 12-18 months ago., but it's not an uncommon occurrence at all since then.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Here is a better picture of the Torus with the crate dismantled.

Attachment 224966

Attachment 224968

Attachment 224970

Attachment 224972

Attachment 224974

Nice clean installation of the electronics in the control cabinet. Novakon forgot to send the 6 ft extension cable. Khai is having John look into it.

Interestingly, when I looked a little closer at the contents of the control cabinet and the incoming power cable, I discovered that there isn't a lick of 120 volt power on this mill. Everything is 240 volt. And when I mean everything, I mean everything. Even the control cabinet fans are ran at 240 volt.

Anybody have a wiring diagram or schematic of the Torus? I bet the NM-145 electrical schematic is very similar to the Torus.

Attachment 224976

There was a cardboard box shoved in the bottom of the base. Guess what I found inside?

Attachment 224978

I found five extra coolant pumps in that cardboard box! Anybody need a spare coolant pump? Seriously though, I'm waiting to here from Khai and John what they want me to do with the coolant pumps.

Attachment 224980

Titaniumboy

There's an odd trend of people finding somewhat strange items in the cabinets.. Perhaps the factory should either check the cabinet before they ship a mill out, or stop using them for storage?

Looks good, hadn't realized the Torus shipped on the stand like that, quite convenient

There's an odd trend of people finding somewhat strange items in the cabinets.. Perhaps the factory should either check the cabinet before they ship a mill out, or stop using them for storage?

Looks good, hadn't realized the Torus shipped on the stand like that, quite convenient
    The Pulsar ships the same way.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I found 6 transformers in the base of mine. They are a little smaller than what is installed in the Torus. Perhaps these are all old stock or non functioning units? They look new though. John didn't seem to want them back, but they are pretty heavy. Shipping them back across the border would surely cost. It's probably 150 pounds of transformers and I have thought the factory may use it as ballast to lower the center of gravity so that it isn't so tippy.
    They could have shipped some iron and steel plates instead. Something I could use.

I don't have a diagram of the wiring, but you are correct. It is all 220 VAC. It is a nice clean setup and installation in the panel. Nothing difficult to trace on it.

Your pictures look real familiar.
    Lee

Novakon will get their pp slapped by U.S. customs one day. The fines for shipping undeclared items into the USA are very steep, and you risk losing your exporters license in Canada. It's probably why they didn't want the transformers back. I mean how do you explain that one to customs official. Once the goods cross the border, it becomes U.S. property. Even if they asked for the pumps back, they won't be able to get them without customs black listing Novakon for importing undeclared goods.

Besides all that, you the customer/receiver will be taxed for those goods if they were undeclared. This is a big no no by importing rules set out by both governments and international laws. I know this, because I have a close friend who works for Canada Customs. Novakon better change their ways or die a painful death. Saying to customs it was a mistake is admitting you are guilty as charged. And also, Yes, U.S customs has the strictest border agents this side of Russia.

Page 3 of 21 1234513