527,955 active members*
3,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Just ordered the last melon (Torus)
Page 17 of 17 7151617
    Registered

Re: Just ordered the last melon (Torus)

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy
    Three Tormach Collet chucks should arrive from Little Machine Shop by Thursday.

I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that the Tormach ER20 Collet chucks arrived a day early from Little Machine Shop. Those guys are really great and I really should use them more often.

The bad news is that the Tormach collet chucks are different from the Novakon collet chucks that I have. The Tormach holders have a much shallower undercut than does the Novakon holder, as shown in the second picture.

Attachment 448884. Attachment 448886

This means that the R8 holder that I had to grind down in order for the Novakon holders to seat against the spindle face will absolutely not work for the newly arrived Tormach holders. There is a good .050” that has to come off of the R8 holder, maybe even up to .090” or .100”.

It just [censored] never ends...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that the Tormach ER20 Collet chucks arrived a day early from Little Machine Shop. Those guys are really great and I really should use them more often.

The bad news is that the Tormach collet chucks are different from the Novakon collet chucks that I have. The Tormach holders have a much shallower undercut than does the Novakon holder, as shown in the second picture.

Attachment 448884. Attachment 448886

This means that the R8 holder that I had to grind down in order for the Novakon holders to seat against the spindle face will absolutely not work for the newly arrived Tormach holders. There is a good .050” that has to come off of the R8 holder, maybe even up to .090” or .100”.

It just [censored] never ends...
    Can you just order a master R-8 collet from Tormach? Or maybe face the collet you have now with a facing bit in a vise...

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Can you just order a master R-8 collet from Tormach?
    The Tormach TTS Adapter Collet is $40. Kind of spendy for a 3/4” R8 collet. I had ground down the Novakon adapter collet last October, so I figured that I could grind it down some more.

Using a genuine Tormach TTS holder, I measured the gap between the Novakon collet and the spindle nose at about 0.071”. I will probably take off 0.090” or 0.100” to be sure.

I checked this collet in my G0704 mill and also in a Bridgeport mill. The gap in both mills was less than on the Novakon mill, but still present. Apparently the spindle nose on my Novakon mill is a tad shorter than on other mills, and so the R8 collet sticks out a bit further. Again that is with using a Tormach TTS holder.

Or maybe face the collet you have now with a facing bit in a vise..
    That sounds like a great idea, but aren’t R8 collets hardened? I would love to be able to machine the collet face in my lathe.

I faced my Novakon collet in the spindle, tool held in the vise. I used a decent carbide insert lathe tool. It came out great.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    The Tormach TTS Adapter Collet is $40. Kind of spendy for a 3/4” R8 collet. I had ground down the Novakon adapter collet last October, so I figured that I could grind it down some more.

Using a genuine Tormach TTS holder, I measured the gap between the Novakon collet and the spindle nose at about 0.071”. I will probably take off 0.090” or 0.100” to be sure.

I checked this collet in my G0704 mill and also in a Bridgeport mill. The gap in both mills was less than on the Novakon mill, but still present. Apparently the spindle nose on my Novakon mill is a tad shorter than on other mills, and so the R8 collet sticks out a bit further. Again that is with using a Tormach TTS holder.

That sounds like a great idea, but aren’t R8 collets hardened? I would love to be able to machine the collet face in my lathe.
    From the Tormach TTS manual:

If you find these geometry issues on a machine that has an R8 spindle taper, the best solution is to use
    the Tormach TTS-R8 collet. This is a special variation of a precision R8 collet with the end of the collet
    ground flat and the overall length slightly less than the standard length. The TTS-R8 collet is included
    with each TTS kit, or it can be purchased separately.
    If your machine exhibits the geometry problems mentioned above and does not use R8, or if you wish
    to use your existing R8 collet, the solution is to modify the collet. Using a disk sander or bench grinder,
    a hardened collet can easily be shortened about 1/8”. Be sure to avoid overheating the collet by grinding
    lightly. Pause the grinding process occasionally and dunk the collet it in water to keep the temperature
    low. Grinding open the internal diameter is more time consuming, but not really more difficult. A small
    die grinder (Dremel tool or similar) with a long shank grinding wheel can be used, but be careful not to
    grind the precision section of the collet that will grasp the shank of the TTS holder.

I was lucky with my collet I guess. I even bought a spare that is just a regular R8 and it works fine.

Here is a link to the manual. Its worth downloading lots of information in there.

https://littlemachineshop.com/images...ing_System.pdf

Page 17 of 17 7151617