584,826 active members*
5,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Homegrown rotary attachment for G Weike LC6090...

Good morning all,

I am about a month away from receiving my LC6090. I would like to make myself a rotary attachment, as I opted out of buying G Weike's accessory. The business where I work scraps Hiwin linear rail and carriers on a regular basis, as well as aluminum plate and such, so I feel like I can make one for far less than $300. I have most of the design figured out, however two questions linger:

1. Does anyone have the specs for the stepper motor used in the Y axis of my machine by chance? Or if anyone reading this has the same machine, could I get a snap shot of it please?

2. Is it fair to say that my rotary attachment should be geared the same way the y axis is? For example, if the y axis is geared 1:4 from the motor to the carriage, my rotary attachment should be geared down the same amount?

Before anyone asks the question, yes, it would be simpler and easier to buy the one they offer. However I have an incessant need to mess around with stuff and give myself the "HA, I knew I could make it". So any help or pointers would be extremely helpful!

Thanks

-Wes

Quote Originally Posted by wdemaster View Post
    Before anyone asks the question, yes, it would be simpler and easier to buy the one they offer.
    However I have an incessant need to mess around with stuff and give myself the "HA, I knew I could make it".
    So any help or pointers would be extremely helpful!
    Nothing wrong with that. If you are capable and have the desire, then go for it.

1. Does anyone have the specs for the stepper motor used in the Y axis of my machine by chance? Or if anyone reading this has the same machine,
    I will assume that you plan to disconnect the Y axis and plug in the A axis in its place. That is common practice with a laser.

What you want is a stepper motor that will be happy with the amperage and voltage that the existing Y axis stepper driver is delivering to the Y axis motor. The motor does not need to be identical.

Most Chinese stepper drives that I have seen, have a series of dip switches to set the amperage. Find out which drive they use, download the data sheet for it. Ask a user (or G Weike) what the settings are.

2. Is it fair to say that my rotary attachment should be geared the same way the y axis is? For example, if the y axis is geared 1:4 from the motor to the carriage, my rotary attachment should be geared down the same amount?
    Are you building a "chuck style" or "friction roller style" rotary axis? My personal preference is chuck style. I have both and hardly ever use the friction roller style.

"Chuck Style" ; 1:4 would be OK. I would aim for a bit lower gearing. Maybe as much as 1:10. Just for better resolution.

The distance the laser travels per step is dependant on the job diameter. Needs to be set within software for each job. How this is handled depends on your software.

"Friction Roller Style" ; As long as the surface being engraved or cut is the same diameter as that riding on the friction roller then the distance the laser travels per step remains the same, regardless of job diameter.

So most manufacturers who make a dedicated rotary, make them so that the outer diameter of the friction roller moves the same amount per step as the Y axis does. This means that in most jobs the distance per step does not need to be changed when swapping to rotary axis work.

The exception to this is when the diameter of the surface being lasered is different to the diameter of the surface riding on the friction roller. Think of a traditional shaped flash light. See pic.

So my advise would be to make a Chuck Style.

The only downside is that you may need a range of work holding fixtures. A chuck is not always the best holding method.

If you have the facility and capability to build the rotary, then making adapters for it will be no problem for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G Weikie rotaries.jpg   EpilogLaser_Zing_attachment.jpg