585,959 active members*
4,711 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > A simple chip and coolant deflector

A simple chip and coolant deflector

Most all of us quickly discovered that the original equipment chip deflector panel is a joke. It's a pain to slide the panel into the slots and chips and coolant easily fly over the top.

There's been a lot of clever solutions posted here -- various enclosure designs with doors, curtains, etc. For the less ambitious I have an easier solution: the pictures attached explain better than a lot of words. The lexan panel is weighted by a piece of aluminum tube that I happened to have at hand. When I need to change parts or tools, I just flip it up to one side or the other where it can drain back into the enclosure. Flipping the panel to the side is quick and easy.

I have been using this arrangement in production for more than a year and have found it to be 100% effective. Putting the panel closer to the action means that a smaller panel covers a larger solid angle of spray. And if you are wondering... no, there is no spray that goes under the panel and gets out. If I were doing it over, I'd probably make it just a little narrower to the left and right: maybe 26" wide by 10" tall.

Attachment 213874
    Attachment 213876

I used something similar on the old Bridgeport to keep it from throwing chips at me as well as all over the floor!

I use a back splash or bib on my Tormach to keep the chips on the table and a shower curtain around the spindle, it works for about 90 percent of the chips.
    mike sr