584,857 active members*
4,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > extrude surface and then fillet issue I can not figure out
Page 1 of 2 12

extrude surface and then fillet issue I can not figure out

question...

I have a dwg file that i imported in to bobcad and then did a extrude curve function on the geometry. Everything is beautiful until i went to do a simple fillet....only on one part of the part can i get it to work. The other fillet areas selected fail.

I watched an old video that AL did for v23....but it didn't really fix my issue.

Is the issue from importing a dwg from MCX the issue? It was just a wire dwg....I think it could be since i can do a new drawing in bobcad and it works fine...but i do not want to have to redraw this part in bobcad just to put a fillet on so i can so the 3d model of it...

any suggestions? I cant post the file since I do not have permission....just asking if anyone else may have ran into this...it has to be simple and somthing i am over looking
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

I think most of us would be taking a SWAG as to what's really going on, without something to look at.
    If you can't post the file, is it possible to create a quick test part using the same workflow, to see if you can recreate the issue?

Again - just a guess.... sounds like you're probably getting just edges output from MCX? Maybe it's not a solids file in MC. Tough to fillet when you're only seeing edges.

let me see if i can recreate the issue I will post back...

As tlharris suggests, if you can create a similar condition, and then post the file, that would make it easier to help. Filleting is one of the few things in the CAD side of Bobcad that I don't think are as powerful as the rest of the system. That said, very few CAD systems fillet well in complicated joints. Some create geometry that doesn't actually fit (I get this in Rhino from time to time), while others like Bobcad will ignore the request entirely, so if the geometry is complicated, it may not be that unusual that it won't create the fillet.

Try putting a very small fillet on the same edges. If that is successful, it's probably not an import problem. It could be, but I would look for intersecting curves on the edges. One trick would be to offset the 2D profile "inward" (the same direction of the fillet) the same amount. Do you have the same number of entities (entities summary)?

i can do a small fillet..really small and the answer to the rest of the question is no...different amount of entities..

you guys try this...it does the same as the rest of the real file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Oh great a "WTF" file,lol

How big of fillet and where do you want it??????

you guys have any luck????

W T F

actually,this is where the wise man will chime in and tell you that BoB has a weak filleter.But you can draw a 3D wireframe and do a sweep and do a boolean something or another.

Hopefully the person mentioned will stop by or another guru,as fillets don't usually go well in the way your geometry lies for me either.

I told you this was a WTF? moment...I assume it did the same for you?

Yeah,I don't know what you would call it,but my feeling is the way the corners are the fillet collapses on itself,or in laymen terms,as I understand it,the fillet just won't geometrically/mathematically work all the way,so BoB more or less says screw it,it ain't going to happen.Or I am full of poop,WTF

try the straight line to the right...that is new geo that i created...it will fillet...any NEW geo will allow the fillet...any from the imported dxf file...will not

I can 1/8 Chamfer all the way around
    Radius fillet only a couple places

W T F

First off the geometry is not planar. If you set the unit to display more than 3, like 8, you can find the ones that need to be flattened out. I just used translate. I could project your geometry to a plane to do this, but it will also transform some of your entities, so to leave them the same, I just looked for the ones out of zero and translated them to the zeroed ones with a pick-pick.

Then to fillet the edges at .125, the shape required some special attention, because you have already created some "fillets" in the design. So I turn off tangent propagation and use "edge selection" and fillet the vertical edges alone, first. Once all the vertical edges are filleted, then I can select the top face and fillet and the bottom face and fillet.

Here's the model back with all edges filleted at .125

oop's. V25 version.

""First off the geometry is not planar. If you set the unit to display more than 3, like 8, you can find the ones that need to be flattened out.""

WTF ???
    Now that is a first for me.I did do the Entity summary,all was good ,I thought,I was wrong.

iam lost

BurrMan always finds the solution. Thanks BurrMan.

Will the part look like this when machined?

RAF

Page 1 of 2 12