585,668 active members*
4,440 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Heat Tolerant 3D Printing Material

Hi,
    I am thinking about getting a 3D printer to make some parts for a project but i need them to be somewhat heat tolerant (about 110 - 120 deg C). at that temperature they can't soften or start to melt. In looking at PLA the temperature is to low (about 50 deg C) and ABS is not much better at 80 deg C. Is there any material that i can use in a 3D printer that would be able to withstand 110-120 deg C?

Thanks
    Mike

I don't think this is going to work using the typical extruder-type printers that are commonly available at low prices. Those are all engineered to handle relatively low-melting thermoplastics. If you need a final product that can withstand 120 C (248F) then you'll need to re-engineer the hot end to deal with materials that take considerably more heat to melt, which sounds like a major project (although not devoid of interest).

I'd suggest saving your money and, if the parts really need to be printed, sending it to someone with a printer capable of printing in other types of materials. Here's a company that can print in PEEK, using the SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) process: Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) | Rapid Prototyping Service Of course, if the part configurations don't really require 3D printing, there are lots of materials that are fairly heat-stable which can be cut using an inexpensive little CNC mill that won't cost much more than a consumer-level 3D printer.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

You can print in higher than ABS temperature ranges with the various all metal hotends that are starting to come on the market. People have had mixed success with them Things like the E3D design or the Magma hotend can print Polycarbonate or several other plastics that would meet your thermal requirements.

Jacksonqin0305 Guest

Re: Heat Tolerant 3D Printing Material

Hi,this is Jackson, mechanical manufacturing engineer with extensive knowledge and work experience and my factory located in the world manufacture base center Dongguan/Shenzhen,China,
    we offer Lathe and Milling/sheet metal fab/parts stamping service, any new works,
    Just contact me,[email protected] / whatsapp+86 13532883201 skype bailong0305,thanks