585,715 active members*
4,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Oil Grooves on RF45? How to do the angled faces of dovetails?

Oil Grooves on RF45? How to do the angled faces of dovetails?

How have folks been adding oil grooves to the angled faces on the dovetails? Slitting saw? What about the gib side? Thanks.

Well, the zone wiped out my post. Let me try again.

I only mill grooves in the flat surfaces with a 1/8" ball mill. I cross drill a thru hole from my oil port into the center of the dove tail. For the gib, I made to sure to mark it when it's adjusted as normal, then I machined the backside of the gib with a groove that aligned with the oil port. The groove is long enough where the gib can be adjusted and the oil port stays within the slot. There is a thru hole in the gib that allows oil to pass thru to the dovetail. A simple hole with a decent chamfer to allow the oil to distribute across the width of the way.

I used a V-shaped woodruff cutter to do it. Ideally I'd have used a radius woodruff tool, which they do make, but I didn't have one on hand and wasn't going to purchase one for 3 cuts. I also slotted the gibs with a ball endmill and drilled through them. I added a little relief on the non-sliding side of the gib near the hole, so that oil could still pass through the hole even if the gibs were adjusted forward or backward. There are pictures in my G0704 thread.

Thanks for the replies. What's the advantage of using a ball endmill for making the slots on the flat faces?

I'm not sure if you're asking about the reason of using a ball mill or the reason for putting grooves in the flat portion of the way?

It may all be in my head, but I prefer a ball-milled groove versus a square cut groove to reduce stress risers, reduce burrs, smooth, even surface of the groove eliminating potential build up of crud in the corners.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Thanks for the replies. What's the advantage of using a ball endmill for making the slots on the flat faces?

Re: Oil Grooves on RF45? How to do the angled faces of dovetails?

Reviving an old thread.....
    How would I cut these grooves by hand, I don’t have a second CNC set up....

Re: Oil Grooves on RF45? How to do the angled faces of dovetails?

Die grinder is one way. Just be sure to deburr the edges good.