585,589 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

make a Plotter of an old printer?

I ran across this page while surfing. I have several old dot matrix printers and would like to try this and see if it'll work.
    However, I need more information about constructing the pen holder and making it work. Anyone try this? What items are necessary to make the pen holder?
    Here's the link
    http://engraving.majosoft.com/html/b...o_plotter.html

Pen and ink type plotters are becoming extinct and hard to service due to the advancement of inkjet type printers.

We have a like new Mutoh plotter we picked up for peanuts and are having a real hard time getting pens for it and, worse yet, getting software that will drive it.

It works fine in Autocad 10 and nothing else. Even some fancy rastor to vector translator did'n't get it to work with a simple Win 3.11 CAD program.

Sadly, we can't even get the local computer recycler to take it so there it sits....

The way the new O'S's are going, especially XP, you're really hung out to dry when it comes to finding drivers to make stuff work - unless you're adept enough at writing your own.

You might want to contact the creator of the website you linked to as he has the inside track on what's involved in doing what you want to do...

Good luck.