585,761 active members*
4,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3/SX3/G0619/G0463 > Compiling a "Build List" for a Grizzly G0619, how does this look?

Compiling a "Build List" for a Grizzly G0619, how does this look?

Hi all,

I've been going back and forth on Build CNC or Buy CNC and initially I started out wanting to build, then I thought, well perhaps I should
    buy a turn key like a Syil X4. Then I started thinking to myself "what if I get an X4 with all sorts of issues" I might as well just build my
    own and learn in the process and understand what everything does, how it interfaces and how to repair it when it breaks.

So, I am back on the "build it" mind set and this is what I've come up with. I would like the seasoned veterans to check out the list and
    let me know what you think. I am not concerned with saving money, so no need to say "Get this it's cheaper" but if something is truly
    better, then I certainly want to know!

1 Grizzly G0619 X3 Mill $1894.00 (With Freight)
    1 CNC4PC C32 - Dual Port Multifunction CNC Board $186.00
    1 CNC4PC A61 Inductive Switch Assembly to RJ45 $78.00
    1 CNC4PC USB Smooth Stepper Board $165.00
    1 CNC4PC MPG4 - 6 Axis Pendant $180.00
    1 CNC4PC 3-Axis NEMA23 CNC Kit (48V/12.5A/570 oz-in/5056D) for SIEG X3 $701.95
    1 CNC Fusion Deluxe Ball Screw Kit $969.00
    2 CPL-EKL-16-0.125 Zero Backlash Couplers $80.00

This doesn't include the controller PC, or the CNC Enclosure, I'm not sure what I want to do for an enclosure yet. I also want to integrate
    an oiling solution (one shot) and a coolant solution as it's being built.

Still not decided yet on what to do for enclosures and stand.

I was thinking about something like the photo below, a solid beechwood topped machinist type work bench, take the back off because I
    can use that on the wall in the garage and then build the PC and CNC in each of the enclosed drawers underneath. The drawers could be
    opened for quick full access to the hardware.

Question is, do you think a solid beech wood table would be sufficient to hold an X3?

Attachment 214610

That bench looks a little tall, and might be a bit wobbly with 350+lbs on it. I think it would hold the machine OK, but CNC mills generate a fair bit of lateral forces when the table gets moving around. Short and stout is a better choice from that standpoint. Plus you often will be loading or unloading reasonably heavy items like vises. This is a bit harder to do if the machine is too high.

You also mentioned wanting to do coolant right from the start. If you're talking about flood coolant, you will not want your electronics below the machine. Also with flood, you generally need to have a base that has a slope in it so the coolant can drain, be filtered, and collected for re-use. A wooden benchtop is really not the right choice if coolant is in the picture.

Tangent,

You are very correct about the coolant issues. I was thinking about doing shields around the table like the KX3's were set up. That's probably not sufficient though to
    eliminate the possibility of a catastrophe! The other question would be, would I be better off just going with something like a Fog Buster setup instead of a full bore
    flood coolant setup. Very good point about the height of the table and having the electronics under it, on second thought that would not be a good setup at all.

Back to researching tables and enclosures! I really appreciate your input! I've followed your build, love the Franken Mill

I've made it four years with no coolant solution at all, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I have seen a trend that people machining ferrous metals or harder metals like Ti tend to have success with fogbusters, while people machining aluminum and other soft metals seem to have better luck with flood. Flood really helps carry chips away as well as keeping the tool and the work cool.

Fogbusters do seem way more convenient (save for having a compressor cycling fairly often), and much less messy than flood. With flood it seems you're always going to be fighting problems like leaking enclosures, more mess, and smelly coolant sumps due to tramp oils aiding bacterial growth.

I have often wished for high pressure flood to blast the chips clear when doing deep pocketing or slotting in aluminum. I hope to finally get my machine enclosed and try it out in the coming year.

Tangent,

I obviously need to put more thought into the coolant solution. I do plan on machining mostly aluminum but I wasn't really prepared to do a full enclosure like a vertical
    milling center at least not right away. I may just go the mist solution first just to get me up and running with some sort of cooling/lubricating option and then later if I
    decide to do a whole enclosure then swapping over to a full bore flood coolant solution would not be an issue.

Well, at least I have a good starting point for the mech and electronics to get me up and running. I certainly need to put more thought into the whole work area and
    enclosure situation.