585,762 active members*
4,092 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Avoid motor resonance by changing / increasing microstep settings?

Avoid motor resonance by changing / increasing microstep settings?

Hi,

I have built a CNC 4-axis foam cutting (hot wire) and the fine tuning is well under way. I run into a big resonance problem. I run the machine at a very low speed, and the motors resonate so hard the whole machine vibrates. The vibrations even cause the foam to move about on the table when I move the wire at cutting speed outside the foam. The problem is gone when I increase the speed, but to cut the lower speed and lower amp setting on the wire give the best results. So, I need to reduce / get rid of the resonance.

I am thinking about increasing the microstep settings on the controllers, and change the steps / millimeter setting in the software. Would this make a change, are there any other suggestions worth trying? I would not like making a belt drive between the motors and the spindles to increase motor speed at the same spindle speed.

Cheers,

Hugo

this is the question that this website was founded on 15 years ago, geckodrive made lotsa money solving it.

that aside, maybe play with amp settings, if 8 wire motor, wire for parallel, dampening the motor mounts with grommets.

i have always felt it had something to do with switchmode powersupplies - current arrives in steps, departs in steps, and at certain frequencies it hits a sag.
    Wisdom results from foolishness!

A simple solution would be to add a resonance damper to the motor. There are many ways to do this.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/steppe...er_damper.html