585,715 active members*
3,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > No motor movement using mach3 and g540

No motor movement using mach3 and g540

I have a x2 mill I am converting to CNC. I cannot get any motor movement. I loaded the 540xml file from geckodrive for the g540. Checked configuration and found no errors. With I power up the driver the motors lock up and you cannot move them by hand. I can run a wizard and see it move on the screen but no movement on motors. On the g540 there is a green light and the trim adjustment holes have red LEDs on but I don't have a fault lights on. When I did install mach 3 it did install the printer driver. Is there a way to test the G540 by itself.

Thanks for any help I can get

Doug

x2 Harbor Freight Mill with CNC Fusion Kit 2
    cncrouterparts 3-axis 23 nema Kit
    Geckodrive g540 version 4
    48 volt power supply
    Mach 3

I can unplug the parallel and I don't get a red light fault. I only get a fault light when I push the emergency button. The motors have holding torque with the Parallel cable plugged or not. I was metering the printer cable and noticed a lot of the pins do not have connectivity.

It sounds like you're using a parallel cable with some dead pins. These are made for applications that don't require full parallel port connectivity. But your mill does require that all the pins connect all the way through. Get another one which is like that, and your problem may be solved. Another thing to make sure of is that your computer BIOS is set to run the parallel (LPT) port in EPP mode.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Yes it was the parallel cable I have motors spinning. I picked up a data transfer cable not a straight thru cable. Things are all good.

Doug