585,982 active members*
4,430 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 always in fault - red LEDS - strange voltages
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Mariss
    I actually believe Mariss is now retired, if I'm not mistaken?

Dave
    Dave->..

Dave, I had no idea. I was under the opinion he was in his 50's. Now I wonder where I got any impression of his age. Hope he made enough on the G540! I like the few I have ;-)

Okay.. Thats a new debate of changes in Revision .. I dont know wether they have firmware updates or hardware updates in the new revisions ..As i have two of G540 purchased couple of year back
    Now I am curious why they have replaced the complete mother board ?.. Was this problem with IRF540 alone or few more SMD components damaged during the failure?.. I really curious to know what was the problem
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

I didn't see a Mariss when I was there, but then again most of the staff wasn't there because of the holiday coming up. I did receive an email from a Marissa. Not sure if this is the same person, but sure sounds female and I keep seeing male references on the threads.

Marcus wasn't sure exactly what the issue was. He mentioned I may have blown the MOSFET, but it also didn't make sense it would damaged by shorting the gate to drain. He mentioned the short could have occurred anywhere since there was a loose lead inside that could have bounced around anywhere, and who knows what it could have shorted. It seemed like he would just look at it later, and put in a new motherboard since there was one available so I could get on my way.

I asked what the difference was from Rev 4 to Rev 8, and it sounded like it was mostly circuit protection stuff, thicker traces, etc, making it more bulletproof. The most obvious change though is that the 4 trimpots are not so deep inside the case as they were before. They come up almost to the surface of the case so that they are easily reachable and easier to adjust.

I was also surprised during my visit to learn that all of their stuff is assembled in the shop. That's pretty rare nowadays as most electronics stuff is manufactured overseas. Very cool!

Page 2 of 2 12