585,975 active members*
4,903 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > sheldon 1710 nc lathe help

sheldon 1710 nc lathe help

I have a couple on old (1974) sheldon nc lathes w/ the 872a control
    converted to pc based cnc. I was looking for anyone that knows of any like machines setting around collecting dust in the back of your shops that would like to sell them for parts or whole. I know they are old, and probably have been discarded long ago. But I'm looking for the one or two guys that fell in love with them like me and kept them around. I have run mine almost every day for 30+ years and had v e r y little down time. TRY THAT WITH ONE OF THE NEW MACHINES. So hope to hear from someone.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom

I used to work at Sheldon 1978-1980. Never heard of an 872a control. Is that the Bunker Ramo (forgive my spelling) control? You dont see many Sheldons any more.

Mike
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Hi Mike,
    The cotrol is a Bendix unit; and the 872a was its designation. This model was produced in 1974. I've had exceptionally good forture with these machines as per my post. The electronics are the only weak area. After all they are 30+ years old. But they keep on ticking. Thanks for the interest.
    Tom

tom
    here is one in california
    http://www.electricmotorworks.com/specials.php

I have been trying to find one to refit with mach3
    would be the perfect size machine for what I do
    but like this one all have been to far away from me (illinois)

also know where a sheldon 2816 cnc is if you want a big lathe
    its in indiana

there is a yahoo group Sheldonlathe john knox on that group
    worked for sheldon for almost 30 years
    and was one of the designers of the nc machines

another mike

WOW! That 1710 in the link looks like it's been around the block a couple of times. the 2816 is a monster of a lathe. Some new electronics on one of those and you can do some real chip rippen.

M37 is right, Try the yahoo users group, if thats where John Knox hangs out. John was the chief engineer at Sheldon when I was there.

Mike
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Thanks M37,
    That particular lathe is a hydraulic spindle machine, and take three times the power to run. The 1710's to look for are electric spindle. They (sheldon) had a lot of problems with the constant speed system on the hydraulic machines. I've personally known John Knox, Dick Schutes, and Larry Wilkins for over 26 years. These three men are the ones that designed the sheldon lathes. After Sheldon went out of bussiness they opened a company called LJD to support these great machine. I've been down to the facility called LDJ (now out of bussiness) and bought rebuilt units. John does have a computer interface board called a "Parts Maker", that interfaces a computer to the old electronics to make them much more reliable and hold an almost unlimited size program. It also allows the computer to be a storage facillity for all your programs and does away with the tape reader and storage cards in the old control units. Also I would reccommend using a "chopper power supply" if you are still using the older electronics. It takes almost all of the voltage problems away. It is available thru John. As far as the 2816 are concerned I'd stay away from them. I've heard they had quite a few problems with them.

tom
    from the picture what do you look for to tell
    the hyd spindle drive from the electric?
    was the electrical drive spindle a option?
    mike

Mike,
    In the picture there is a big unit directly at the left end of the machine. This is a typical arrangement for the hyd. spindle machines. Yes, it was an option. Some thought it was necessary when machining from a large dia. down to a small dia. with many cuts to keep sfpm at a constant for finish and tool life. For the most part it proved to be too problematic of a system. On the electric drive machines there is nothing around the lathe, everything is tucked up under the machine. FYI. I'm running a job right now with the electric drive machine taking off .250 per side at .020 feed @ 665rpm from 5.5"dia. to 1.5"dia w/ 3ea 5/16radius and 4 shoulders 5.6 lg. in 1045 steel. It takes 9 min. each part!! A little hard on the servo's but it been doing it for 10 years. Tom

Sheldon Lathe???

Quote Originally Posted by tom bryant View Post
    I have a couple on old (1974) sheldon nc lathes w/ the 872a control
    converted to pc based cnc. I was looking for anyone that knows of any like machines setting around collecting dust in the back of your shops that would like to sell them for parts or whole. I know they are old, and probably have been discarded long ago. But I'm looking for the one or two guys that fell in love with them like me and kept them around. I have run mine almost every day for 30+ years and had v e r y little down time. TRY THAT WITH ONE OF THE NEW MACHINES. So hope to hear from someone.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom
    ================================================== =
    I'm going to be looking at a old 17" Sheldon CNC Tape Lathe converted to a Series 1 Fanuc controls. Any idea what year and model it maybe? What do you think it's worth? Thanks.

Rich Gillen
    [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17 Sheldon Tape Lathe -1.jpg   17 Sheldon Tape Lathe -2.jpg