586,011 active members*
4,152 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Reverse CNC

Reverse CNC

Let me first say hello as I am new to the site. I have been looking around and there seems to be quite a bit (OK, a ton) of talent, experience, and knowledge here. So I am looking to pick some brains.

I have a few projects cooking both related to g-code and tool paths.

The first is a reverse CNC machine for reproducing parts without having to measure, re-cad, and then convert to g-code. It uses leadscrews and optics to determine the outlines and other edges of the part details and stores the paths as g-code. Unfortunately, it is has a one-track mind. I cannot figure out how to generate a toolpath for milling pockets from the g-code outline.

The other project is actually hung up at the same spot. I has very little to do with CNC, but is controlled via g-code commands and for it I need to determine how to "mill a pocket" from g-code outline.

Does anyone know where to find a routine to generate a toolpath for milling pocket?

Thank you all,
    adwsystems

This software http://www.betatechnical.com/autonc.htm will generate g code for a pocket by inputting pocket size, cutter size and stepover.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

That is a really cool programm unfortunately it asks information that I don't have mainly the pocket size. I only have the outline of the pocket in go-code. Any ideas on how to generate a tool path for an arbitrary pocket only knowing the outline and depth (in g-code)? I think what I am asking is, where could I find a piece of a program to generate the tool path for a pocket where the boundary(ies) or in g-code?

Look through the code.

Find the largest y number, largest x number, smallest y number and smallest x number and that will give you at least the extents of the pocket.

OK. That sounds like a start. From another website I got some steps for zig-zag pattern which is cool for my purposes. From the other website, I think the next step would be to "overlay" a series of lines for the centerline of the tool spaced apart based on the tool diameter and overlap. The next step is the hard part, and this is where I am looking for some code/code help. These "overlay lines" need to be trimmed based on the edges of the pocket (and eventually islands) and then connected.

Do you know of any resources for code and/or programming for this step?

Thank you all.