585,665 active members*
3,119 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Table top/micro band saw?

I would much rather have a full sized band saw but I simply don't have the room right now... Are there any good quality know brands that make table top band saws (hell, I don't even know if they exist but I figure I'd ask...)?

Thanks.

Perhaps something like this would work, but I don't know what kind of quality I can expect from something like this.

Portable Metal Cutting Band Saw, BS-127P | Baileigh Industrial

I wanted a smaller bandsaw, but ended up getting a circular cold saw, and MAN am I glad I did. This thing EATS metal, I am so shocked at how well it performs. If you need to cut thick steel it might not be too good, but 1/4" steel and 6" extruded aluminum are no match for it.

This is the one I got (and it states it will cut 2"x2" steel too...): Evolution Power Tools STEELSAW2 14-Inch Steel Cutting Chop Saw - Amazon.com
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Way to little info. Vertical or horizontal? Cut off work or something more involved. The range of materials involved.

If you are looking for something portable to do cutoff work seriously think about getting a portable bandsaw. You often see contractors using such. These saws can easily be put out of the way and when needed taken to the job site. Once you get past cutoff work usefulness declines significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dye Guardian View Post
    I would much rather have a full sized band saw but I simply don't have the room right now... Are there any good quality know brands that make table top band saws (hell, I don't even know if they exist but I figure I'd ask...)?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Way to little info. Vertical or horizontal? Cut off work or something more involved. The range of materials involved.

If you are looking for something portable to do cutoff work seriously think about getting a portable bandsaw. You often see contractors using such. These saws can easily be put out of the way and when needed taken to the job site. Once you get past cutoff work usefulness declines significantly.
    Horizontal, only cut off. I think I am going to go the cheapest way for now which is simply a grinder with a zip wheel a belt sander to sand it flat/smooth... Then when I get the room I need I will get a full sized horizontal band saw. I should be able to get by for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dye Guardian View Post
    Horizontal, only cut off. I think I am going to go the cheapest way for now which is simply a grinder with a zip wheel a belt sander to sand it flat/smooth... Then when I get the room I need I will get a full sized horizontal band saw. I should be able to get by for now.
    I have to admit to doing that myself for a long time, either a zip well or my Sawsall. I just got a small horizontal bandsaw last year, they are extremely handily once you have one. Need to cut some PVC for a plumbing job no problem. Electrical conduit No problem. Extrusions no problem. I even cut steel once and a while when the pressing projects are at bay and fun is set loose. ���� I have this dream of one day catching up with house remodeling and actually spending time in the shop for fun.