585,973 active members*
4,065 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Moving Gantry or Moving table?

Hello all,

I've been researching machines and whether to build or buy. I think Im going to build. The components I will be machining will be made from 7075 and 6061. The work envelope will never be more than 1.5 (y) x 2.5 (z) x 20 (x) inches. Im thinking I will build a machine around the size of parts I will be machining. Ive been looking at different designs. Im wondering what would work best or the pros and cons of a moving gantry machine vs moving table machine? I know usually it classifies whether its a router or a mill but since I was making my own for this matter what would be best? I was impressed by the CNCDudez machine out of the U.K. CNC Design Limited - CNC Desktop Router The extruded aluminum frame looks ridged but would it be rigid enough for machining aluminum day in-day out? Keep in mind I know one day I will be upgrading to a HAAS or something but this is to just get me started out in business. Thanks.

You can build a far stiffer machine with far less effort if you go the moving table route.

Quote Originally Posted by hugh jass View Post
    Hello all,

I've been researching machines and whether to build or buy. I think Im going to build. The components I will be machining will be made from 7075 and 6061. The work envelope will never be more than 1.5 (y) x 2.5 (z) x 20 (x) inches.
    That can easily fit on many small mills. You may want to consider a mill conversion or the purchase of a new mill.
    Im thinking I will build a machine around the size of parts I will be machining.
    That can be a wise move if we are talking very large volumes. However you give up flexibility and adaptability. Further if this is low volume the idea would be to find other work for the mill to help pay for it. For parts of this size it is hard to suggest building a machine to fit that specific need. You would be far better off with a more generic approach.
    Ive been looking at different designs. Im wondering what would work best or the pros and cons of a moving gantry machine vs moving table machine? I know usually it classifies whether its a router or a mill
    There are no hard and fast definitions here. You can find on the market some rather huge gantry mills both fixed and moving that would be hard to confuse with a router.
    but since I was making my own for this matter what would be best? I was impressed by the CNCDudez machine out of the U.K. CNC Design Limited - CNC Desktop Router The extruded aluminum frame looks ridged but would it be rigid enough for machining aluminum day in-day out? Keep in mind I know one day I will be upgrading to a HAAS or something but this is to just get me started out in business. Thanks.
    The question is do you have access to a machine shop or are you willing to hire out work to a machine shop? Your best bet in my estimation is a steel tube framed machine which will likely require some machining, possibly some welding too. In between probably some stress relieving.

Of course we haven't even hit upon the quality of the results you want to achieve. If this is loose tolerance, low quality surface finish work, cheaper solutions will do.

Thanks wizard. I appreciate the input.