584,837 active members*
5,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > subscription plans fro BOBCAD
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

subscription plans fro BOBCAD

anyone else get the letter about the 2 levels of subscription plans that include all updates/versions and support?

got mine today...but they want me to call them to get the freaking pricing...anyone know what it is?
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

"subscription" NOPE

got something last week about levels of support

well what did your letter say???

Let me check my trash

Looks like the trash has been taken out.I really do not remember cause it was nothing new or exciting,,,it was not a scribtion though.

Bobcad sent me an invoice for $2191.00 for a 12 month subscription for my 4 axis Pro including premium tech support.
    Unfortunately this is way outside my budget

Quote Originally Posted by dougl View Post
    Bobcad sent me an invoice for $2191.00 for 12 subscription services for my 4 axis Pro including premium tech support.
    I just read that as $26,000+ dollars......

Mine said in bold print

Start Off The New Year With A New BobCAD-CAM Relationship

And relax; We know that One Size Does NOT Fit All.

That's when I thru it in the garbage.

RAF

and what have you got for a years worth of service for that type of money?? How many updates and add ons...

This is on the BobCAD site. It sounds like this is what's being discussed here. CNC CAD/CAM Software Support Memberships | BobCAD-CAM

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

I don't understand why the limit the webinars to Pro subscribers.... That is one thing I wish I could go look at whenever I want. I guess Al has put a lot of stuff up on AfterDark, but if I could just subscribe to the Premium webinars for $100, I would do that...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Actually, I got the V26 upgrade and premium support.

I hope you're experienced with BoBCAD/CAM. I'm not and I was trying to go through the tutorials and wound up spending more type typing up bug reports/errors in the documentation and other things that I never really got the basics of the program. If you go through the tutorial files like I did, you'll be VERY frustrated since just about every topic seems to have an error of some kind. Written over 4 text pages of bug reports to them and have had no reply, except for customer satisfaction surveys. What do you think THOSE are going to show from me?

Evidently, the just cut and pasted old manuals together without walking them through the steps. I'm received my letter offering me unlimited live tech support, and I might just buy it so I can keep their employees on the phone for hours and hours till I get the satisfaction of costing them more in labor than I paid for the programs and tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by majsteve View Post
    I hope you're experienced with BoBCAD/CAM. I'm not and I was trying to go through the tutorials and wound up spending more type typing up bug reports/errors in the documentation and other things that I never really got the basics of the program. If you go through the tutorial files like I did, you'll be VERY frustrated since just about every topic seems to have an error of some kind. Written over 4 text pages of bug reports to them and have had no reply, except for customer satisfaction surveys. What do you think THOSE are going to show from me?

Evidently, the just cut and pasted old manuals together without walking them through the steps. I'm received my letter offering me unlimited live tech support, and I might just buy it so I can keep their employees on the phone for hours and hours till I get the satisfaction of costing them more in labor than I paid for the programs and tech support.
    Do you even own Bobcad? You just posted a recommendation for Meshcam in the Bobcad forums where you professed that you don't need all the bells and whistles, so which is it?

If you have Bobcad and don't understand something, feel free to post a question in the forums and you'll get an answer in no time. This is probably the most active software forum on CNCzone and the level of support that fellow users provide is invaluable. Personally, I've been through most of the tutorials and was able to figure them out with very little frustration. It normally takes me about the same amount of time to generate toolpaths in Bobcad as it does in Meshcam, and I can tell you that I am extremely familiar with Meshcam and have run parts on it that you probably couldn't imagine in terms of size. Bobcad is not any more difficult to use than Meshcam, but it does have more required information to generate toolpaths because they can be more specific to a given application. Once you know the system, it's very efficient at gathering the needed information to do things that Meshcam simply can't. If Meshcam could, it would no longer be easy to use, because more decisions would have to be made by the user, which requires more knowledge to understand the implications of those decisions.

More capability requires more time investment to learn, but returns greater flexibility and control. Less capability makes ease of use more achievable, but at the cost of flexibility and control. While the initial time required to learn Bobcad will greatly exceed that of Meshcam, once they are both understood to the same level, the amount of time required to produce toolpaths becomes very similar. It takes 3-5 minutes to generate a toolpath in both Bobcad or Meshcam where they could both accomplish the same task. For more complex toolpaths, it takes longer than that in Bobcad, but infinitely longer in Meshcam because Meshcam can't do the same things and may never achieve the desired result at all. When it comes to pure processing power on simple toolpaths, Meshcam absolutely beats anything else at any price level due to the fantastic multi-core hyperthreading code that it was written in. I have personally maxed out all 8 cores of my workstation at 100% as well as 98% of my available memory for up to 8 hours straight, which is simply astonishing (may have even damaged my CPU in the process as it's been buggy ever since as load increases, so might have to switch to Xeon processors).

I would recommend watching the video tutorials and following them over using any printed tutorial at this point, they are much easier to follow and you can see the actual steps as they go, so you know it's possible to do the same things. There are many available free video tutorials on Youtube, and most users seem to be able to get up to speed in relatively little time. If you put a couple weeks of evenings into Bobcad, you should be pretty fluent with it at that point. You can learn Meshcam in a couple evenings, but again it's a much less complex program because it offers much less, so comparing them in terms of learning curve is not really possible. If all you need to learn in Bobcad is the basic toolpaths, you can do that in a couple evenings as well.

Yes, I bought the program, and yes I've watched all the tutorials, and yes I've tried to follow along with them, and NO, the program that I bought is evidently not the program that they are using for the tutorials since when I do the same click or move or whatever, a different result happens vs what's on the screen or nothing happens at all. And certainly not at the speed it does on the screen.

I agree that hacking around trying to make parts is the best way to learn, but I looked for something simple like making a spring - you can make a helix all you want, but don't bother looking up spring in the help file. It would seem that you would make a helix and then fatten it up, but there are no hints in the help file.

I'm not assuming anything, but did you do all the tutorials in the V26 package or just use your experience from earlier versions. I'm about to ask them to downgrade me for free if V25 works better.

Quote Originally Posted by majsteve View Post
    did you do all the tutorials in the V26 package or just use your experience from earlier versions. I'm about to ask them to downgrade me for free if V25 works better.
    You seem to be fixated on finding some tutorial where the creator of it has a "button that says WRAP", and yours doesn't have that button.

You CAN find this, but is that a "bug"? There are many users of many versions. The interface "does" change over versions, and even "updates" as new functions and commands and toolpaths are added.

You COULD downgrade to V25, but then, would you want to complain that the tutorial video you just watched doesn't have "that DMS thing" you just saw on youtube.

If your actually a customer, looking to use the software, I think your heading down a misguided path right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dougl View Post
    Bobcad sent me an invoice for $2191.00 for 12 subscription services for my 4 axis Pro including premium tech support.
    Holy smokes, that's practically free compared to what I was quoted. And the price (for me) went UP last time the sales guy called.

I really don't like their variable price strategy. My prices are the same whether you pull in the parking lot in a Rolls or a Chevette.

my letter said if i was on a support plan..then i would never again have to worry about updates or new versions...it was a subscription plan as I thought I read...I could be wrong...I will dig it our tomorrow

it said there were 2 levels... I took and take it as a subscription based plan and would kick off Jan 1 2014

Strange,No Al on here in awhile ????????/

I got Free Premium Tech support right here

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    I just read that as $26,000+ dollars......
    Where your from everything's a bit more expensive, aye? But the scenery...hard to put a price on.

Page 1 of 2 12