586,009 active members*
4,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Vfd does not run

I bought a 3kw Chinese router and vfd. I have read posts for hours and have not found any reference to my issue. The vfd powers up fine. I have gone through and changed the settings like I was told and have read about. The pd001 is set to 0. When I hit the run button nothing happens. This is with and without the router hooked up. I have seen videos online where people show the vfd run up to speed with and without a motor connected. For some reason when I hit the run button nothing happens. I don't get any error codes. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bum unit? Any help would be appreciated. If you need any more info let me know. The model number is HY03D023B and the spindle is 300hz.

Thank you
    Ben

If your running Mach, you could also look at the serial Modbus connection?
    A new Huanyang VFD plugin
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I Am not running mach. I have looked into the modbus though. I use k-motion cnc. I am just trying to run from the panel for now. Is it possible it it start through modbus even if it won't from the panel?

Ben

Ok nobody seems to have any ideas about what the problem might be. Next step for my sanity is to just look into other vfds. The router is listed as 3kw. The tag on the motor says 220v 10amps. The vfd I'm looking at here WJ200-022SF, Micro Drive, 3hp, 11amp, 230vac, 1ph, WJ200, 230V, 1 Phase, 1/8-3HP - automation products from Automation 4 Less is only rated at 3hp not 3kw or 4hp. This vfd is rated at 240v 11amps though. Will it be big enough for the spindle? It is a single phase input vfd so from what I have read it does not need to be derated. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Ben

Have you looked at this yet, it goes over some important parameters that need to be set.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy_cn...light=huanyang

Also you can set PD001 to a value of 1, then connect a switch between terminals DCM and FOR, see if it turns on with an external switch, maybe the keypad is messed up.

Thank you for the suggestion jmf. I have read through that thread and about every other thread I could find on these vfds. I have set things up just like suggested in that thread and even tried several other setups from other threads. I always do the factory reset before trying each setup. My spindle is 300 Hz so the the only change is I change all 400s to 300s. I also always follow the order of events. The big question is why nothing happens when I hit the run button. I've seen videos and posts that show the vfd run up to speed or Hz even with no motor connected.

Thanks
    Ben

Initially run it from the the control panel on the VFD, then once it is working, get the remote operation mode working. Much easier that way, one step at a time.
    Make sure all the current limit settings are correct for you motor. As for the remote inputs, there are quite a few modes that they can be set up for.
    Momentary button, or run on closed contact, etc.
    What about the control voltage for the speed? Start with that on the front panel too.

Get each function working, one at a time.
    On/off. Even if that works, you still must command a speed greater than zero, or not much will happen.
    Speed. Set the maximum speed in the VFD. It is IMPORTANT to set the MINIMUM SPEED too, so you don't cook your motor at low speed.
    Direction control.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thank you nielw20. I have only tried running from the panel on the vfd. I have also set the speed and the maximum and minimum currents. For some reason when I hot the run button nothing happens.

Thank you.
    Ben

Have you measured the output voltage of the VFD. Is this single phase 220 or 120 for the input?

blurts

Wire the spindle then you may see some action, Have you set all the 300 Hz settings, have you wired the input 220VAc correctly
    Mactec54

I have it wired to r,s, and ground. I have also tried r and t. It is 220v single phase. I have also tried it with the motor connected. I have set all the 300hz settings as well. I have not measured the output voltage. The Manuel says not to measure the output side since it may do damage?

Thank you
    Ben

bhurts

That is correct you should never try to measure the output voltage on a VFD
    Mactec54

You can measure the output voltage of a VFD. It may not be accurate depending on how you measure it, but right now you don't know if the VFD is outputting any voltage.

So, if you knew the VFD was outputting voltage then the spindle could be bad.

You need to isolate the problem in some manner.

ViperTX

Unless you have a scope you can not measure the output from a VFD, it does not output a normal Ac sign wave that you can measure with a normal meter
    Mactec54

bhurts

Can you post a list of what parameters you have set, there is not many that you have to do to get them running
    Mactec54

Thank you for trying to help mactec54 and everyone else. I do not have the list of parameters on me now but will have them posted in the next few days.

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for trying to help mactec54 and everyone else. I do not have the list of parameters on me now but will have them posted in the next few days.

Ben

I set the minimum settings as per the sellers instructions. I followed the order specified exactly. Pd 005=300, Pd004=300, Pd003=300, and Pd072=300. I also tried again with many of the setups recommended on other threads that were much more involved. I always did the factory reset Pd013=01 before trying each setup. I checked that all settings did take after each setup and they did. It seems everything on the vfd works it just does nothing when I hit the run button. I made sure Pd 001 and Pd002 were set correctly to run from the vfd panel.

I really would like to see this vfd work. In the mean time I purchased a hitachi wj200 and it arrived today. Can anyone tell me the minimum settings to get it going. My biggest concern is making sure the spindle works while I can still make a claim against the seller if needed. Also does anyone know what I should set the accel/decel parameters at and which ones I should use. Spinup and down time is not critical I would just like to keep the current down as much as possible while doing so.

Thanks
    Ben

Here is a post that helped me when I first powered up my WJ200.
    Go to post #22

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/router...ml#post1241054

I now have it running from Mach, so much nicer. My build thread has all the info on getting that setup with a G540.

Edit: just noticed you have a 3kw spindle. So settings will be a little different

Steve

Thank you Steve. I have one other question before trying to power up the drive. It is wired single phase. I read it requires a neutral? 220v single phase here is hot,hot and ground wire. Do I just run on hot to L1 and the other to neutral? It is a single phase input vfd so it just has L1 and N.

Thanks
    Ben

L1 and N on the WJ200 are the 2 hot wires. I was confused by the labeling also.

L1 120v
    N 120v

And a ground

There is not a neutral.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12