585,758 active members*
4,568 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

SX3 CAD Model

Hi All,

I've recently become the proud owner of a Sieg SX3, I've now been through the whole process of disassembling, cleaning and reassembling, and now have a working machine. While I was at it, I decided it would be a good idea to measure and model the machine to help with future modifications, and thought I'd share it with you all.

Below are links to IGES, STEP and ProEngineer versions of the model, I'd recommend the IGES (or ProEngineer if you're running WF5 or Creo onwards), make sure you untick 'Download using download accelerator' on the download page...

IGES - Download sx3 iges zip
    STEP - Download sx3 step zip
    ProEngineer (WF5/Creo) - Download sx3 asm zip

I should note that I can't guarantee the accuracy of this model, machines no doubt vary due to tolerances and design changes, I've also fudged some bits to make them line up. I didn't bother breaking everything down to individual components (largely because I was getting fed up after 1.5 days of modelling), and I've not included any of the fixings. Therefore, make sure you verify all dimensions if you're using it to design any modifications.

Hope that's of use to some of you, let me know if there's any glaring errors or if the links go dead.

Here's a few screen dumps of the model too...

Attachment 215246 Attachment 215248 Attachment 215250 Attachment 215252 Attachment 215254

And a few cross sections...

Centre Plane:
    Attachment 215256

Fine Feed:
    Attachment 215258

Quill Feed:
    Attachment 215260

Very nice! Looks much more complete than the model that's been floating around for a few years.

Maybe Hoss will see this and can use it to finish his 3D printed 1/4 scale models of various small mills. He didn't have a complete SX3 model.

Fabulous model, excellently detailed, great job thanks for sharing.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

VERY impressive detail!

Brian
    WOT Designs

Hamzter,

Fatastic! Can I be a pain and ask if you could export it as a .dxf or .obj ?

Hamzter,

Fatastic! Can I be a pain and ask if you could export it as a .dxf or .obj ?

If that can't be done, I understand! Just figured I would give it a shot

You can ignore my request, I downloaded freecad from sourceforge and was able to get the files open!

Absolutely fantastic modeling work! As you can see, I got overspray on everything I need to break the components down and
    apply the appropriate materials. I should set it on a nice bench while I'm at it!

Still playing with my digital crayons

The head still needs work my dimensions are a bit off. It's hard with so many objects. I have to say though, I am very pleased with
    my texture maps! Once I get the head sorted then I will save a whole new object file and hopefully it will keep the texture maps
    and with the Original Poster's permission I will post the file back up.

Nice work, feel free to repost the data

Thanks Hamzter! I will post up a zip file with groupings of .3ds objects that can be ungrouped. I am trying to work within the limits of my software
    which was never utilized for 64 bit OS's and keeps crashing once I get too crazy with the texturing

I trying to download these files but the site says "file not found"

Looks like they delete the files after so many days without downloads, anyone know of a decent host that doesn't have time restrictions? Uploading to CNCZone throws up an error...

Here's the links again anyway:

Pro/Engineer - Download sx3 asm zip
    IGES - Download sx3 iges zip
    STEP - Download sx3 step zip

Im still having trouble with it. You might try Google Drive or Dropbox.

Worked for me.. You need to click on the Green Download Button (not the blue one) and uncheck the download accelerator box.

Hamzter,

Can I ask a favor? Can you upload the Nema34 / 23 motors and the Z axis mounting block in step format?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett248Vista View Post
    Worked for me.. You need to click on the Green Download Button (not the blue one) and uncheck the download accelerator box.
    Thanks, I wasn't paying attention an clicking the wrong button.

Does anyone know if a X3 Model exits? The one I found posted on another thread doesn't work.

Not done yet, but I must say, looking much better! I got the Nema motors, the Vice and the End Mill from GrabCad dot com.

Updated again. Exploded the vise into sub groups and properly textured it. Also fabbed up a monitor arm and monitor from
    scratch and added a Mach 3 Screen. Next step is modeling a controller box and seeing how I want to attach it.

So much fun and when it's all said and done, building the real thing will be easy as pie

I'm am so freaking impressed! Good job!

Brian
    WOT Designs

Page 1 of 2 12