585,925 active members*
3,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rs-232 from a Heidenhain display unit

Hey folks,

Hoping someone can get me pointed in the right direction here. We have a Heidenhain display (ND-720) that is reading positional information on some linear scales. It works fine but we currnetly have to write down the information by hand. There is an Rs-232 port on the unit that could be used to send the positional info to a PC where, if we could get it into Excel, we could calculate all our measurements quite easily. The first thing we have to figure out is how to wire-up and do any signal converting. It uses a 15-pin connector with the following configuration:

Pin Signal Function
    1 Internal shield
    2 Standby
    3 RXD Receive data
    4 RTS Request to send
    5 CTS Clear to send
    6 UP +5 V
    7 SIGN. GND Signal ground
    8 UP 0 V
    9 TXD Transmit data
    10 DSR Data set ready
    11 DTR Data terminal ready
    12 Meas. value output by contact
    13 Switching signals
    14 Meas. value output by pulse
    15 CHASSIS Housing

Some of these I suspect are for a unit they called a "Edge Finder" but they also say you can xfer a data string to a PC which is what I'm trying to accoplish. I'm thinking I'll likely need to find a 15-pin connector (same style at typical RS-232 "9 pin", just bigger) and wire up an adapter harness.

Anyway, just looking for a point in the right direction. Any chance someone makes an adapter? I looked, didn't find anything. If anyone really wants to dig into this, here's a link to the display manual (which is now apparently obsolete): http://content.heidenhain.de/doku/om...n/34169622.pdf

Thanks!
    Biederboat

Called a DB15 connector. Most of those you won't use. Look up db9 rs232 and match up rxd to txd etc. The really hard part is getting excel to look at data coming from a com port. I have found some vb script that is supposed to work, but I've gotten no where fast with it.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

Thanks I'll check it out!
    BB