585,685 active members*
4,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angled Brackets

Were do I buy the angled brackets that hold the skate bearings? Like what is used in the jgro plans.

And how do you cut the grooves in the top bracket. Do you use a grinder?

I got mine form this place: http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=63&step=2

To cut the grooves I got an endmill for AL, chucked it up in my drillpress and then chipped away at the angle brackets. I've since bought a vice for my drill press that's a lot like a milling machine vice. So I can lower the bit and then move the work into it. But if you have a milling machine it would be a lot easier, alas I don't have one so you make due.

Here's a link to the vice I got: http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1064

Hope this helps
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Thanks.

Did you get the rods/pipes from the same place? Or did you pick that up locally.

The jrgo plans call for a rod that's .84 OD & .62 ID. I can't find a rod with those exact dimensions & I'm not sure how far off I can be without it effecting the bearing slide.

I found the tubing with the exact dimensions on that same website. It was under the stainless steel schedule pipe category. I assume that would work.

That will work but I just used nuts and washers to get the spacing right. I bought the rod but once I got everyting together it was easier to use the nuts and washers to get things just right.

Here's a link to a good shot of what I did: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...chmentid=11107
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

I see. You by any chance have a picture of the anti-backlash mechanism? I'm not exactly sure how it connects to the threaded screw.

Oh and were did you get your roller skate bearings from? I probably can find it but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask since I'm in the process of ordering everything.

I got my bearings from here: http://www.vxb.com/ look them up on ebay too sometimes you can get a little better deal buy from them off ebay.

I tried making the backlash setup in the plans but could never quite right so I bought the anti-backllash leadnuts from http://gonebowlin.com/dumpsterCNC/ I’ve been really happy with them and it made life a lot easier. And hey what's a little more money...?...
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Thanks for the links dighsx, I really appreciate all the help you've given.

Not a problem. I've gotten so much help from this place I have to give back when I can.
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

John,

The jrgo plans call for a rod that's .84 OD & .62 ID. I can't find a rod with those exact dimensions & I'm not sure how far off I can be without it effecting the bearing slide.
    The pipes for the JGRO build are 1/2" and 1" black or galvanized pipe available at Lowe's or Home Depot. Look in the plumbing section. It's fairly inexpensive and comes in different lengths. Amazingly enough my local ACE Hardware also stocks the pipe in something around 22' (yes, that's foot) lengths. It was even cheaper per foot than the previously mentioned places.

I just grabbed an extra 1/2" x 24" piece I had laying around and, depending on where you measure, the O.D. ranges from 0.825" to 0.851". Don't worry about the exact dimensions, especially the I.D. ***NOTE: DO NOT get the thin wall electrical conduit that has about the same O.D. that you'll find in the electrical section.***

Read Phillby's post about preloading your bearings before assembling your bearing slides. It is most helpful, and there's a drawing, too.

Ditto, digshx's recommendation on www.vxb.com for bearings and DumpsterCNC for AB nuts.

Do yourself a favor and modify the 1/4"-20 allthread used for leadscrews to something stiffer like 1/2"-10 ACME threaded rod. You won't regret it. Couple it to your axis motors using LoveJoy couplings. Both are available from ENCO. Don't forget to order matching nuts for the ACME thread. The time saving & boost to performance (about twice the cutting speed) more than make up for the slight increase in component cost. You will also need to make the holes in the bearing blocks larger to accomodate the 0.500" I.D., 1.125" O.D. bearings.

Were do I buy the angled brackets that hold the skate bearings? Like what is used in the jgro plans.
    I bought mine at Home Depot. A 1/8" x 1 1/4" x 96" piece of aluminum angle (Item #030699568307) ran me $14.97. It should be somewhere around the hardware/key cutting section. Again, I think the local ACE Hardware carries it, also. I searched high and low in Lowe's, though, and couldn't find any.

Here's a link to the vice I got: http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1064
    I sure wish I had one of these vises when I made my bearing slides! I almost lost a fingertip or three when using a drill press and trying to manually router them. At least I was smart enought not to wear gloves. You can purchase a similar vise from Harbor Freight.

Keep at it, it's worth it,

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG
    Oh and were did you get your roller skate bearings from?
    I got mine for about 75 cents each from irvineman on ebay (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZirv...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0 , and no, I have no interest with him). Very satisfied.

I just returned home from Home Depot. I checked on the 1/8" x 1 1/4" x 96" aluminum angle. They had plenty in stock at a few pennies less than $23.50 for the 8' length. I couldn't believe the price had nearly doubled since 1/18/2005.

At least they had some,

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

I just got back from home depot as well. I could only find the $32 aluminum angle. I was kind of in a hurry though, so I didn't get a chance to really look around. I also found the gas pipe but I'd like to measure it before buying since the actual size is slightly different from what they advertise.

Also bought some MDF wood. Though I'm wondering if I will have any problems when applying paint to it? Like whether the wood will warp. I would hate to cut out the pieces and then ruin them with the wrong paint.