585,967 active members*
4,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Screen Layouts, Post Processors & Misc > possible? usb numeric key pad as a low tech stand-in for a cnc router pendant control

Question possible? usb numeric key pad as a low tech stand-in for a cnc router pendant control

I'd like to know if a simple remote usb numeric key pad can be used as an unsophisticated but functional manual x-y-z movement controller for my Mach3 based Gantry Router. I've done some preliminary searching and found no information so I thought I'd throw the question out there hoping for some helpful input. Don't really want to spend much money and the capabilities needed are basically those found using the typical keyboard numeric pad. Does this work? Is it complicated to set up? Any experiences or direction would be much appreciated.

Yes, a USB keypad works on my milling machine with Mach3.
    I have to be careful about positioning of my keypad though because it's quite sensitive to electro-magnetic interference and behaves unpredictably if it's too close to the VFD or motor wiring,
    Regards,
    Nick