585,760 active members*
3,628 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Rapid moves

Rapid moves

I have programmed 3 small profiles, when it post them the moves between the profiles are Feed moves, which the way the post is outputting is a 3 axis feed move which machines though the materal getting to the next profile. I think if the output was a Rapid move it would move Z first then positon. Is this something I missed in my program or is there something in the post to cover this? Mike

It sounds like the Rapid Plane, Feed Plane, and/or Top of Part values may not be set correctly for your setup. If you have Top of Part at 0.00, for instance, the Rapid and Feed planes need to be set above that. Can you zip the .bbcd file and post it? That'd help to determine exactly what the problem is.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

I changed my program to put each profile in a Machining sequence of its own and that helped because it forced rapids to be output, I then added mulitable depths works good until it gets to the finish pass then would mill across part. I am attaching the program, the post and the output which I marked up 2 of the errors. I cannot figure out how to NOT take a finish pass when using profile, I am sure there must be a way but I could not figure it out. Mike

Set the Finish tool diameter to zero. BobCAD will interpret that as "no tool" and it will disable the finish pass.

Luke

I'm a little puzzled, looking at your file. You should be able to put all the features into one Machine Setup and have it run them sequentially, with no gouging issues. I might set the part up a little differently, perhaps using an open pocket for the long curved slot down to -2.5, then a profile to cut the outer 0.75' slot down to -3.1, but that's just a choice to reduce the number of rapids caused by the profile strategy. I suspect that the problem you encountered is in your Post Processor file, but I'm not well-versed in the various PP settings. Maybe some of the more experienced folks can find something there to help you out.

Luke