585,667 active members*
3,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Where to find DLX-2000 software? TMG hardware

Where to find DLX-2000 software? TMG hardware

Hey everyone. I'm an M.E. trying to teach myself CAM.

I'm using solidworks for CAD, and I have the HSMWorks add-on with which I've been able to successfully create some toolpaths.

My next challenge is getting the G-code sent to the stepper motor controller. I've been given use of an older TMG (The Motion Group) controller, and here is their website:

Digital CNC retrofit

Unfortunately, the website is pretty dead, and I'm unable to download the software they recommend (DLX2000). I can't find it anywhere else online (except for this guy on the forum who is using a very similar machine, I've PM'd him).

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge..._retrofit.html

Can anyone help me out with how to control my TMG hardware? Is there software similar to DLX2000 that I can use? (TurboCNC?)

Also, It seems most of the "controller" software is MS-DOS only. Is it possible to run the software through the command prompt of windows 7? Or do I need a true windows 3.1 or older OS for it to work properly?

Thank you!

Re: Where to find DLX-2000 software? TMG hardware

I would like to know also. Someone from the forums very generously sent me one of these for the cost of shipping, which ended up to be like $80 with all the stuff and I have yet to figure out how to get it working. I think I read somewhere where someone got it running with Mach3 but that was a couple years ago when I was really trying and never got anything figured out.

Thanks for the interest.

I was able to get Mach3 to work with this TMG hardware. HOWEVER, I did have to re-wire the "breakout board" that is between the LPT plug and the stepper motor drivers. It was as simple as removing the 8 pin chips from the B.O.B. and jumping the proper pins. The original B.O.B. modifies the signal somehow and was causing some glitches, as well as having to set M3 to the incorrect steps/inch for it to move properly.

PM me if you have any questions about it

I've received a couple messages asking for more detail on what I did to get the TMG machine to work with mach3. Here it is

There are some 8 pin chips on the breakout board that are between the input & output of the board. I have no idea what they do, but I do know they were interfering with getting the signal to my stepper drivers.

The stepper drivers in my TMG box are labeled SD320, and I was able to find a datasheet for them online. They are optically isolated, and the current requirements are well within LPT limits. So if the BOB chips were opto-isolators we don't need them anyways.

On the BOB, I traced the inputs from LPT pin, and outputs to the stepper drivers. Installed jumpers as shown:

This makes the input pins:

axis, step pin, dir pin
    x, 2, 4
    y, 1, 16
    z, 6, 8

That solved most of the glitches i had when using the TMG hardware with mach3.

Sorry to revive an old thread but this is internet gold. The only piece of information I can find on getting this legacy controller working with newer software. I have it as well and have been struggling to get it working with UCCNC. Unable to successfully send any jog signals to the stepper motors. Have been wondering about those same chips, if they are potentially propriety to the DLX2000 software. Cant wait to try this out. What worries me a bit is you were still able to send controls with the chips in place. My symptoms a little different. Were the LEDs showing active on each controller axis and the drives before/after the jumper mod?

Update: Embarrassingly, I removed the cover of the motiongroup hardware and noticed the wires powering the controller and drives were not plugged into the power distribution block from the power supply. That did the trick, however with UCCNC I had the same symptoms HAZE33 described. When I jogged an axis, it would move or freeze erratically. So I removed the controller chips and jumped the pins as described above, and it now seems to be working perfectly.

This thread saved me purchasing new hardware. Ironically enough, I'm happy the power was disconnected, or I wouldn't have looked hard enough to find this information!

Are you trying to master the software yourself? I would recommend that you find a mentor. Now IT technologists and their attempt to implement them can cost you the equipment