584,866 active members*
5,228 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > need Help!!! getting pinout correct for driver box on hand

need Help!!! getting pinout correct for driver box on hand

Hello

I have old flashcut cnc driver box with drivers mounted and there pin out , Is there a way to use there pinout in cnc linux ?
    I am not sure what to edit and I haven't played with linux in a decade . so I am very rusty at it .
    Attachment 216754

seeing the lack of response I will use mach 3 !

The actual Linux forum at linuxcnc.org will have answers for you. If you want to run mach3 then go for it, but you are still going to need to figure out the pin outs first. Personally I don't understand the question because you ask what the pin outs are and then post a pin out diagram. Seems like the diagram has the pin outs on it.

I am a rookie to linux but there is a setup for the different pinouts of various machines.
    mike sr

The problem I ran into is what config files to edit to get the pin out needed . In the basic setup it does not allow me to set the pins as output for step/dir , they want to use them as inputs .

I did try editing one of the files that defined the xyz step/dir pins and when I ran it I got errors . So more then the stepper config file needs to be changed

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you use the stepconf program?

Stepper Configuration Wizard

Yes that is what I started with and could not get the correct pins . So that is when I tried editing the config files .

Tony

OK, after looking at the pinout diagram in your first post and also looking at this Mach3 forum post:

Using a Flashcut CNC Box in Mach 3

it appears that the flashcut box can not simply be connected to a typical parallel port via a straight-through DB25 cable. The pins on the flashcut 25-pin connector evidently do not directly correspond with parallel port pins that can act as outputs to drive the step and direction signals. So it appears that it is not a problem with LinuxCNC configuration, rather it is a physical/electrical mismatch that would need to be cured by chopping up and rewiring the cable or by using a DB25 "patch panel" board to map the pins between the LPT port and the flashcut box.

Wow thank you for the info , so a trip to radio shack and remount the pins in the right spot

Tony