585,712 active members*
4,243 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > L20 Type 7 Series 3 M140/M141 Setup/Program Problem

L20 Type 7 Series 3 M140/M141 Setup/Program Problem

Hello Everbody!

I am having a problem with the M140 code on an L20 Type 7 Series 3. When the program runs the M140, it moves $2 tward the guide on Z, Y to T13 position roughly (third turn tool), and X to what seems to be T13 X-.4 not exatly X-.4, but the T13 tool tip is well below center.

Basically, I am ok with the Z and Y moves, but the X move puts the tool in the way and I cannot drill from the T22-T24 tool block. There are no empty turning positions to put the tool into, but even then I would still have interference from the T22-T24 tools and the other turning tools.

Is the X movement something that can be controlled with the tool settings in MC data page or is that X set in the parameters of the machine?

Thank you for your time!

That is unusual, MC DATA controls end point of c/off and P.PINT that is only for X. using MC DATA page. What do you have under DIA in PREPARATION PAGE for T1300 and for all tools.

Allright allright, here I am boys. This is something I can give you some input on as it definitely kicked me around when I was getting into programming these things. There are a couple options that you have. I can mention two of them and then you will have to expand on the thoughts yourself.

Option 1: Put something like ".5" in your MC Data for positioning point if you can. You probably are used to putting something small in there like ".1" but for this time, try something large so you don't have to change a lot of other things right now. If you are running large material already, you may have an issue with this route. In your tool pages you are probably going to have something like ".6" or ".8" there abouts for your core height on that T11-T15 bank. If you're figures are something like "0" in that core height then perhaps try this next option. I may be using the wrong word saying core height, I just know that what I'm referencing allows you to set that level of tool tips from the actual gang block they are on.

Option 2: Playing with those core heights, have your cut-off tool tip physically located a greater distance from the gang block. Let's say it's at the ".6" or ".8" level, well, place all your other turning tools at the "0.0" level but be very careful because when you place those tools in at the "0" level, you are actually going to change that value on your tool settings page back to your ".6 or .8" level. You will then place your G50 U shift with each tool calling inside your program. If you made the difference be ".6" then your G50 U value in your program for that tool will be .6 You can think of it as lieing to the machine if you want to see it that way. Because when the machine calls those tools up in the program when it is time, it actually thinks they are below where they really are, and then it knows to come down because you told it to do so in the program with your G50 U shift, hehe, tricky tricky.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem you are up against here is pretty much always a problem with every job. Finding the right tooling arrangement to avoid that interference stuff is tricky. You'll have to work through it in time. It's kind of dumb if you ask me, but what do we know, technology is supposed to be better. You actually have one more option and that is to do away with using your G821/G820 and M141/M140 but instead you will use another G811/G810 group to do all the stuff up front there with T22-24. Good luck on figuring that one out, but I'm sure you can if you try. You can pm me if you want, but I don't check on the forum board here much any more.

I am not sure about the L20's but on my L32's all I have to do is put and R1 on the G821 line "G821 R1". This takes gang tools to furthest x position.

Mountain_Hiker, I think in option 2 you meant to say Dia Height not core height. Your core height is your Y1 axis.

Yep you are right g821 r1 will send ur gang slide out of the way.

Allright allright, my bad. I have worked with older equipment so I never learned that one, ha. If it had worked for me, it definitely would have helped, hehe. It's all good up in here! Peace. :withstupi

I did want to add that those fellas using the G821 R1 solution are just taking the easy way out. That's something to be noted. :nono: Lot's of folks just looking for the easy way out these days, good drief, sorry.... grief. Ya'll have a nice one now.