585,597 active members*
3,652 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Drawbar force is 1175lbs - should I change the belleville washers?

Drawbar force is 1175lbs - should I change the belleville washers?

Trying to get some cleaning/maintenance done to my 1990 4020. I measured the drawbar force and it's around 1175. I've only had the machine for 1.5 years, so I have no idea when the bellevilles were changed last. Sounds like the force is supposed to be up in the 1700 range. Should I swap out the belleville washers? Never done it before, but it doesn't look too terribly difficult. I'm not having any issues with the tool changes, although the surface finish could be a little better. Just wondering what the cutoff is for when to change them out.

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by sdfoiler View Post
    Trying to get some cleaning/maintenance done to my 1990 4020. I measured the drawbar force and it's around 1175. I've only had the machine for 1.5 years, so I have no idea when the bellevilles were changed last. Sounds like the force is supposed to be up in the 1700 range. Should I swap out the belleville washers? Never done it before, but it doesn't look too terribly difficult. I'm not having any issues with the tool changes, although the surface finish could be a little better. Just wondering what the cutoff is for when to change them out.

Suggestions?
    Nothing wrong with it. We are from 900-1200lbs on all our machines. Where did you get 1700lbs from?
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

THanks for the message. Just reading on different threads about what the force should be:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fadal/...bar_force.html

and

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fadal/...placement.html

I tried to find it in the fadal documentation, but never did find where it specifies what the force should be.

Thanks for the help!!!