585,930 active members*
3,721 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > How do I change the Tool Change Position?

How do I change the Tool Change Position?

When I call out an M998, the spindle moves to Z -3.00 (From Machine Zero, Reference Home) to make tool changes.
    I assume this is the factory setting.
    I wanted it a little higher, so I went onto the settings page, and changed the 'Tool Change Position' to Z-.500, enter, save, Eureka! More clearance for longer tools.
    Well, after I shut off the Computer, and started it up the next day, it was again at Z-3.00 !! :nono:
    Why didn't it remain at Z-.500?
    How do I permanently set the Tool Change Position to Z-.500?
    Do I need to change a parameter?

Hi,

I am no expert at this.. but I recently got my Tormach 770 as well... From my experience, in order for the Tool Change Position to work.. Every time you have to reference your table, meaning you have to HOME your Z, otherwise it have no reference to where about it should move.

Yeah Jimmy, I referenced everything during start-up. X,Y,Z
    But when you program an M998, the Z rapids up to the 'Tool Change Position' which is factory set at Z-3.00 (From Z Reference Home, at top switch)
    On the 'Settings' Page, there is a display that shows your 'Tool Change Position' X0.00 , Y0.00 , Z-3.00
    I changed it to Z-.500 (to get an extra 2.5" of room)
    But when I restarted the machine the next day, the setting was back to Z-3.00
    PHOEY!!
    Why didn't it stay at Z-.500, where I want it to be?

In my Mach, under config at the very bottom of the drop down is a "Save Settings" selection. If I am wanting to make certain a setting sticks, like when I enter tool offsets in the tool table, I always hit that before closing out Mach 3.

I generally do all my tool change positions in my Cam though, so wasn't even aware that Mach 3 could do that. I will say that I need different tool change positions for various parts, so a standard tool change position isn't something that would benefit me.
    Lee

RussMachine

You would have to change the M998 macro to do what you want to do, it has a fixed setting that you would need to change
    Mactec54