585,930 active members*
3,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepper only turns one way?

Stepper only turns one way?

I have the tb6560 v2 red edition and mach 3 I have already checked and set the pin configuation to all port 1 and xyz step to 2,4,6 and the dir to 3,5,7. As far as motors I swear I have already checked the 4 pin motor outputs many times. What can I do.

Are you sure that your 25 pin cable has all pins going straight through?

Are all axis motors turning in only one direction or is there only a single motor that only turns one way?

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it to read a DC voltage?

Yes I have a multimeter I have tried multiple motors on multiple axis'. What should I do to check. Or what should I change.

You would want to check the voltage on the Dir pin and make sure that it is a logic 'high' voltage when jogging an axis in one direction and at a logic 'low' when jogging that axis in the opposite direction (using Mach3 to do the jogging).

There are several places to probe for that voltage change - for example, right on the TB6560 Dir pin (of the chip itself), on both the input and output pins of the optoisolator chip for the Dir signal of that axis, where the Dir signal enters the board, at the printer port output pin.

If the expected behavior is seen at some of the points but not others, then you may have located a circuit problem (bad solder joint, broken trace, etc.). If none of those places shows the expected behavior, then it might be a problem with the parallel port or the port driver or the Mach3 definitions.

If it is all axes, then it may be more likely that it's a cable problem or a low voltage from the parallel port, or else the problem is within the parallel port or its driver or Mach3 definitions.

When jogging and using pin 3 and ground I get 5v when not jogging same and no difference in either direction.

Where did you measure that? On the PC's printer port connector, or at the end of the 25-pin cable, or on the board?

At end of db25 cable.

If you don't see a voltage change at the end of the 25-pin cable, it would appear that the problem is not occurring on the driver board, rather it probably means either that the cable is not a "straight-through" cable (which you could check with the multimeter ohms scale), or else the problem may be somewhere within your computer's hardware or software (or software setup).

But since you are evidently able to send step pulses through the parallel port and the cable to the driver board, it seems that Mach3 is indeed talking to your parallel port.

So I would suggest checking that the cable goes straight through, and perhaps also (or instead) performing the Dir pin voltage test right at the parallel port connector on your PC. Also, just in case, are you absolutely certain that you were checking the voltage on pin 3?

99% sure

Have you checked that your dir and step wiring is correct?
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

I believe that when checking pin 25 and pin 3 with my multimeter (right out of pc port) I get 5v and it doesnt change weather I interact with mach 3 or not. It is a rosewill 302

Maybe also check the voltage on pins 5 and 7 while jogging the corresponding axes back and forth.

But whether or not you see a change on those pins it might be a good idea to try a different parallel port card (if you can get your hands on one).