585,752 active members*
4,110 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > yep another electrical noise post

yep another electrical noise post

What seems like one of the most common electrical problems on these forums is noise and yet I still can't seem to get anywhere.
    I am going to try to open up questions that are not repeats since I have attempted to do my research.

I have purchased an old Precix (hold your laughs, it was a crazy deal) that has been retrofitted with a new controller and is running with Mach3. I'm using an older rebuilt Colombo air-cooled spindle and a Magnetech gpd333 VFD.

The system seems to be working just fine IF I don't turn on the spindle. Once the spindle is engaged, Mach3 throws the e-stop after about a 1/2 second of running and debounce does not help

What I have checked:

1. trigger switch shielding. I thought I solved the issue because I tried to make an extension to the z-axis trigger switch but I had used non-shielded wiring. I replaced the extension with shielded wires and it helped. Now instead of flipping the e-stop at 1/2 second into a program, it is 5 seconds.

2.proximity of low voltage switch wires and the high voltage spindle cable. There is not much I can do about separating these since they must move parallel to and along the gantry.

Next steps are:

1. Shielding the cable going to the VFD from the power source by using emt-conduit.
    2. Ensuring that everything is grounded properly.

I am using Mach3 and I have tried the debounce but I have to put it up to 200000(correct amount of zeros) before it can run a very simple profile cut in foam that is about a 3 minute program.

Questions:

1. How do I ground the shielding of the trigger switch wires. There is a bare ground wire in the cable but the switches that were present at time of purchase had the ground wire not connected to a thing.

2. The trigger switch wires are bare for about an inch of distance at the switches so that I can reach the connectors. Does this need attention? Should I attach f-magnets right at these connections. Should I purchase fancy switches?

3. It sounds like a VFD noise issue. What could I possibly look into there?

4. Gounding the whole system. I dont know how anything is grounded besides through the 240 line to the spindle, the 120 line to the computer and the 120 and 220 lines to the controller. Am I missing something with that?

5. This is a longshot but I have not yet checked to make sure that the breakers that I am using are properly rated for amps/volts. Could this be a source?

Thank you all. I can't believe people are still willing to help others out like this.

Matt

There are many old posts here on the subject, as you may have already found out.
    e.g. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase_...se_issues.html
    In some cases the power supply commons taken to ground can cure the gremlins, see link above.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

RE:

1 u hve been given old school 'how to ground those sw shields; if ready for proper way, tie shldt both ends to ground, not one end only. tie by stripping bk pvc cover and use a wire tie that exposed shld to a solid grounded metal pc at each end.

2 put those vfd motor leads in conduit. u MUST seperate these wires from all others; saying cant is not an option. 'seperatwe' means more than about 15"

2. 1" bare end: not an issue

5 no

Re: yep another electrical noise post

does it happen with spindle on, do you have a FM radio you can sit on the machine have it tuned in to a station if the rf is bad you will hear it through the radio, turn the machine on with spindle power on then spindle power off see what happens,
    it a ruff way of checking for rf, emf interferences.
    I have a interment rf problem with the machine I have when the radio is all statistic it runs like a bag of ____ if I what for the radio to come right the machine comes right to.
    also most 3 phase spindle controls are meant to be grounded at each end
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey Matt, I was the Head engineer and production manager at Precix from 2003 to 2008. I am very familiar with all of the Precix, Omnicad, Luminart machines. I have since then moved on to my own CNC shop where I support those machines....Including doing the QNX to Mach3 conversions. I have done about 40 conversions in the last 3 years. I have references of people/companies I have done the conversions for. So I can prove I have done it.....NOT...I think I can do it. And I have done it within the parameter of making money....being profitable. So what what I have to say you can "take to the bank". There are a couple of things, In terms of noise that are peculiar with the this conversion. The first is the GPD 333 drive. and the other is the connectors that Precix used on the black controller cases. Also, The breakout board that you have chosen can be an issue. I have used the "Sound logic board" on about 15 of my conversions. And I have used the C11GS, C11G, C11T, C11S, C32, and C10. I have built systems with and without the ESS board. There has been, recently a noise issue that could only be fixed with a significant modification to the Board by the manufacturer. The board was replaced at my customers' facility after the fact. I have documentations and drawings and REAL knowledge of this conversion within the parameters of making a profit. My point is that I have done it! Not just talking about it.

Matt you can find my website with a "wefixprecix" google search.
    Let me know if I can help

Russ, First-off Prototype
    604 795 6756
    403 Forbidden

Quote Originally Posted by wefixprecix View Post
    Hey Matt, I was the Head engineer and production manager at Precix from 200
    Hey Russ, some of us are getting tired of your copy/paste "I invented the internet" self back slapping identical "replies" to age old posts....

Actually I was the first one sent to Mars by NASA, but you don't see me posting that on all the old threads here do you?

Please get with the nineties and stop that.