585,758 active members*
4,521 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Arclight or LDR motion systems?

Of these two, which would you choose? I am wanting a entry level 5x10 plasma, but unsure which one is better? Thoughts? Opinions?

Both are good companies.

ArcLight produces a lot more standard design machines that are turnkey (uncrate, install in your shop, connect power and start cutting), which is kind of rare in the entry level table market, I hear good reviews on the level of after sales support from the buyers of these machines.

LDR seems to be more of a custom builder of machines....you tell them what you want and they will quote it and produce it for you. Their website does not seem to show standard products....just custom type machines.

Both provide Hypertherm plasma, which is a good thing!

Imortant things to consider for plasma cnc machines:

-Ease of learning curve, ease of use of the supplied CAD and CAM software. Some machines use a universal software that is more designed for milling or routing as compared to plasma cutting. Look carefully at what you are getting.

-Torch height control, absolutely necessary to have the best possible height control.....this controls cut quality as well as plasma consumable life, and makes the machine so you can program parts and walk away while cutting.

-Cut speeds for plasma need to be able to go as high as 275 to 300 inches per minute. High speeds and good accuracy / acceleration is critical to the best cut quality on thin materials. Thicker materials are always easier to cut with plasma....thic requires excellent height and motion control.

-Buy from a company that has a good sized installed base, and will be in business for the long haul. There are a lot of low cost cnc plasma companies out there today that likely will not be around for support and parts in a few years!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by calicnc View Post
    Of these two, which would you choose? I am wanting a entry level 5x10 plasma, but unsure which one is better? Thoughts? Opinions?

Hi, This is Dan at ldr. Jim is partially correct.We do build many special constructed machines, however we do have standard products. Here is a link to our price page for our standard plasma tables
    Pricing | LDR Motion Systems
    Both our tables and arclight use the same software and electronics. We do use custom mach3 screens other than that they are the same. We also use an air bladder style water table, so you change water level using air pressure.

Our standard tables are 4x4 4x8 and 5x10. Everything is included and these are not bolt together kits. They are fully assembled ready to run. Our 4x8 is the most popular, it comes with computer licensed software, fully wired and digital torch height, with the air bladder water table it is 8900$. I am confidant saying you won't be able to find anyone lower!

We have been building machines for 14 years for a living. We have been building plasma tables for 8 years. We have over 500 tables out working and would be happy to supply references.

Thanks
    Dan

Thanks for clarifying Dan. One of thes days I'll have to come visit your shop and spend some time reviewing your products......just so I can pass on the information more accurately.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by dhelfter View Post
    Hi, This is Dan at ldr. Jim is partially correct.We do build many special constructed machines, however we do have standard products. Here is a link to our price page for our standard plasma tables
    Pricing | LDR Motion Systems
    Both our tables and arclight use the same software and electronics. We do use custom mach3 screens other than that they are the same. We also use an air bladder style water table, so you change water level using air pressure.

Our standard tables are 4x4 4x8 and 5x10. Everything is included and these are not bolt together kits. They are fully assembled ready to run. Our 4x8 is the most popular, it comes with computer licensed software, fully wired and digital torch height, with the air bladder water table it is 8900$. I am confidant saying you won't be able to find anyone lower!

We have been building machines for 14 years for a living. We have been building plasma tables for 8 years. We have over 500 tables out working and would be happy to supply references.

Thanks
    Dan

I have to agree with Jim on several points: Both are good, honest companies that do what they promise and have excellent support (even AFTER they cash your check!) I know both owners very well and it's like asking to pick your most favorite child....I know this does not help any but the good news is that you can choose either one and know that you won't get danced around the maypole.
    TOMcaudle
    www.Candcnc.com

Jim, We would be totally HONORED to have you come to our shop. You have been a wealth of info for us and thousands of others, even non hypertherm owners (not sure why there is any of those!)

Tom, Thanks for the compliment, your products make our machines possible! There are literally tons of great companies out there making cnc plasma tables, and many many of them are good.
    Thanks
    Dan

hi,Calicnc.
    I bought the Arclight , it is a awesome table , Scott is always there to help. go to his site, there are free training videos. link below
    you can watch then over and over.
    to go with youre table if you can afford it get at least the powermax 65 .it will be the best money ever spent.
    need cut files check here . and there is a forum called plasma spider it cost $20.00 bucks . but you get that back in a file package . and you get acess to free help and over 5000 files. some good some not so good . it was the best money I spent.

CNC Training Videos

goodluck
    Al

Re: Arclight or LDR motion systems?

Hello out there, are there any updates to this thread. I am in the market and on the fence for which company. Being in California Archlight is closer with cheaper shipping, or Ill just go pick it up. What say you all ?

If it were me I'd go with Arclight. Good reputation across the board. Pricing seems competitive. Best of all you could pick it up and get some advice/training on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by plain ol Bill View Post
    If it were me I'd go with Arclight. Good reputation across the board. Pricing seems competitive. Best of all you could pick it up and get some advice/training on the machine.
    If I did not build one. then I would probably go with the LDR.. I am located within 50 miles from where Arclight is built too. Shipping would be zero on the Arclight, and much more for a LDR. Just rather have a welded up steel table then a 80/20 (Have one) I would invest in a plane ticket, and see them both run first.. I would not worry one bit getting support from either company.. It's not like it was 10 years ago, and with Candcnc electronics, pretty safe bet both are quality units..

Some people run other brand plasma cutters because they researched what they want in a machine and found other brands that are excellent in how they cut. Just comparing it to my friends Hypertherm 85.. By the way he built his table with Candcnc controls, and the Build quality is way beyond any 30-40 thousand dollar table out. Spend about $15,000.00 total. With a Hypertherm 85 too... He is not your average fab man, but it's within reach of the average Joe too..

I just took delivery of an LDR 4x4 table and love it! I had never even seen a plasma table and I was cutting in a couple of hours. The standard bladder water table is the best feature in my opinion. Dan has answered every question I had immediately. I am sure they are both good tables though.

Quote Originally Posted by nytro View Post
    Hello out there, are there any updates to this thread. I am in the market and on the fence for which company. Being in California Archlight is closer with cheaper shipping, or Ill just go pick it up. What say you all ?
    I too am in California, and I'm taking delivery tomorrow on a 5x10 LDR with air bladder water table option. For me, the choice was simple. Welded vs. bolt together construction and static water table vs. air bladder water table. Welded construction and air bladder water table on the LDR made infinitely more sense and justified the cost of shipping.

Re: Arclight or LDR motion systems or now Laguna ?

Ok now I just saw a Laguna CNC out of Irvine CA. It looks like a beefy table with the cutting surface above the gantry. It is 3k more, but it looks like a nice machine. Do any of you have any info on the Laguna ??

Re: Arclight or LDR motion systems or now Laguna ?

Quote Originally Posted by nytro View Post
    Ok now I just saw a Laguna CNC out of Irvine CA. It looks like a beefy table with the cutting surface above the gantry. It is 3k more, but it looks like a nice machine. Do any of you have any info on the Laguna ??
    I can't emphasize this enough. Do your homework. Do a Google search for "Laguna CNC reviews" and "Laguna CNC complaints". Find out where the machine was made (I won't buy equipment made in China because of quality control issues and difficulty getting replacement parts). And, don't make a purchase solely on how great the machine looks because looks can be deceiving.