585,597 active members*
3,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

belt gear mounting

Are there standard shaft and bearing sets for a belt reduction from the stepper/servo to the ballscrew/pinion? I'm use to seeing the end of the shaft attached with three bolts and most of the CNC routers look similar so I'm wondering if these are off-the-shelf items that I can just design around?

Typically there's a shallow "box" with two plates and the router mounts to the outside of one plate and the inside the box are the two gears. Then the ballscrew of the pinion pokes out the other side and the whole box mounts to the gantry carriage.

Am I describing this right so it makes sense? Can you buy "kits" with the shafts, bearings, mounting blocks, etc?

Look here: CNCRouterParts.com

And Here: Hubbard CNC
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Quote Originally Posted by HalfRhoVSquared View Post
    Are there standard shaft and bearing sets for a belt reduction from the stepper/servo to the ballscrew/pinion?
    That depends upon what you mean. Bearings for example come in standard size so obviously leadscrews have to be sized to fit those bearings.

I'm use to seeing the end of the shaft attached with three bolts and most of the CNC routers look similar so I'm wondering if these are off-the-shelf items that I can just design around?
    I'm not sure what you are saying. It would be extremely uncommon to bolt a shaft to anything.
    Typically there's a shallow "box" with two plates and the router mounts to the outside of one plate and the inside the box are the two gears. Then the ballscrew of the pinion pokes out the other side and the whole box mounts to the gantry carriage.
    You have apparently gotten terminology so mixed up that I have no idea what you are saying.
    Am I describing this right so it makes sense?
    Nope! I suggest that you look for some online resources that explain the common English terms for the various parts of a CNC machine.
    Can you buy "kits" with the shafts, bearings, mounting blocks, etc?
    You most certainly can. However before you do so I think you need to learn a bit more about machine basics. This only so you can order the right parts with confidence.

Stepper/servo mounted on gearbox--drive belt pulley on motor shaft---belt---driven belt pulley. Driven belt pulley is on a shaft that has an integral pinion on the end that sticks outside the box to mate with the rack. The pinion shaft has two bearings located inside the box, on on each side of the driven pulley. The bearing closest to the pinion is usually bigger to handle the lateral load from the pinion. The bearing opposite the pinion (smaller bearing) on the end of the shaft is captured by an "end cap" with three bolts that go through the side of the box. This cap allows installation of the pinion shaft and provides the proper preload to the bearings.

What I'm after is all of these components, preferably in a sort of kit.

Does that make any more sense or did I just confuse things more?

Try finding a picture on line and linking here.