585,971 active members*
3,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Skinning and Facet Lines (section lines or what ever you want to call them).

Skinning and Facet Lines (section lines or what ever you want to call them).

With Bobcad

I have a question about Facet Lines (section lines or what ever you want to call them).
    When Skinning Geom is there a way to get the lines to not show up?
    I have 3 samples that show different effect of the lines showing on different types of Geom.
    With my other Cad program that I use, I can loft my geom so easy and fast with no lines showing.
    Am I missing something? Is there some setting to make them hide?

RAF

I'm not entirely sure, but I doubt there is a setting to suppress those lines. Bobcad isn't really intended to do rendering beyond showing the model and those lines are part of what is defining the object. Other CAD systems often include more robust rendering options, but that is because the intent of the software is just different.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoe View Post
    I'm not entirely sure, but I doubt there is a setting to suppress those lines. Bobcad isn't really intended to do rendering beyond showing the model and those lines are part of what is defining the object. Other CAD systems often include more robust rendering options, but that is because the intent of the software is just different.
    I was looking at your Guitar neck that you have been working on(very nice by the way) and noticed no lines showing up on the neck back, did you use Bobcad on that part?

Yes, but as your samples show the result depend a little on the 2d geometry. Some may have disappeared from stitching as well.

mmoe is on the money. The lines you see hint at the underlying wireframe geometry that defines the surface. An ellipse in BobCAD is simply an estimation of an ellipse made from arcs varying in radius. You're going to see a lot of those lines (I call them seams) using that for the base geometry. Splines were created just for that reason. They are naturally suited to make smooth flowing surfaces because they are "shadows" of those surfaces to begin with. Not exactly but that's the best explanation I can give.

THe surface seam edges are from the segmented geometry that created the surface. It wont bother or interfere with the surface, but they can affect down the road operations (fillets-Booleans, etc)

BobCad could do some work there with a more robust "rebuild" command. (this would be the equivalent of "optimize", which works on straight lines). Generating a single start and end point for an entity would be desirable.. Better, cleaner geometry.

I think I'll create a feature request for it...

Cool
    I think that if a few items like that be enhanced the cad side is becoming pretty decent.

Thanks for the input.

RAF

of what use is "wireframe" in BoB

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    of what use is "wireframe" in BoB
    THe "wireframe" actually showing you something called "isocurves" which is like a UV representation of the surface structure. I would use it when generating a model by "patch surfacing", to generate my surfaces in a structured, well formed manner. You can use it to see how the different "skinning/surfacing" commands are generating the surfaces. A "perfect surface" would have all the isocurves match (but it's not a requirement). It can help you find discontinuity in your surfaces too.

A lot of things it is good for.

obviously above my pay grade