585,605 active members*
3,223 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Half-winding bipolar wiring diagram needed

Half-winding bipolar wiring diagram needed

Hey guys,
    Can anyone post/e-mail me a half-winding bipolar wiring diagram suitable for hooking up some 8-wire motors to my Gecko 212s? I looked all over the place on here (and Yahoo) and seem to have come up short.

GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks!
    -Brady

Is this another name for Bipolar Series? As shown here on the Oriental site?

http://www.orientalmotor.com/support...connection.htm

-Brady

With an 8-wire motor there would be no reason to run half winding. For best results, you would want to run bipolar parallel as shown in the diagrams you linked to. Bipolar series would use less current, but the maximum speed would be greatly reduced. Bipolar series is not the same thing as half winding. Half winding bipolar would only be used on a 6-wire motor and is done by connecting to the center tap and one end wire on each phase.

Mariss recommended that I run my N42 8.9A/ph Bridgeport BOSS steppers 'half-winding', so that is what I am going to do since I am running his 212 drives...and that is the reason for running 1/2 winding with a 7A drive.

So...that being said, I am still on the hunt for a schematic that shows the proper hook up for his recommendation. I just need a schematic/diagram showing this configuration.

Thanks!
    -Brady

dertsap.
    That was the 1st place I looked (but so no info on half-coil 8-wire config)...am I to assume that the 6-wire config is the same as an 8-wire config for my setup? Just energize one coil on each side of the motor and leave the other 4 wires unconnected?

Thanks!
    -Brady

Quote Originally Posted by braidmeister
    Hey guys,
    Can anyone post/e-mail me a half-winding bipolar wiring diagram suitable for hooking up some 8-wire motors to my Gecko 212s? I looked all over the place on here (and Yahoo) and seem to have come up short.

GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks!
    -Brady
    Brady,

A Bi-polar parallel connection draws the most (MAX) current;

Using one of the two windings on each side of the motor would draw the next highest current,

The least amount of current drawn would require that the motor be wired as bi-polar series. Bi-polar series should draw about 4.45 Amps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is this another name for Bipolar Series? As shown here on the Oriental site?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I ran into this problem researching some steppers one time and figured out that some people do refer to half-winding as bi-polar series, and you already have the schematic under the Oriental site. Those schematics show every acceptable method of wiring steppers.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry (and others)

I have found that when it comes to this wiring configuration...there are several names for the same thing. So essentially, just to wrap up, If I have 4 coils, let's say A, B C & D, then my wiring should be like this:

A+ ==============> Gecko +
    A- =======
    ................| (joined series)
    B+ =======
    B- ==============> Gecko -

C+ ==============> Gecko +
    C- =======
    ................| (joined series)
    D+ =======
    D- ==============> Gecko -

Thanks for all of the help!!! I like to get verification before I wire things up...I like to keep the smoke inside the drives!

-Brady

Above diagram is incorrect...as are the suggestions of others in this thread (I appreciate the help though!) I am posting corrections for A) Me as a reference & B) Others with Nema 42 Bridgeport motors who need to reduce the current that the Gecko will be pumping out.

Correct 1/2 coil wiring should be as follows:

A+ ==============> Gecko +
    A- ==============> Gecko -

B+ =======> No connection (tape off)
    B- =======> No connection (tape off)

C+ ==============> Gecko +
    C- ==============> Gecko -

D+ =======> No Connection (tape off)
    D- =======> No Connection (tape off)

-Brady

You just made my point.:-) The performance difference between parallel and half-winding (same phase current both cases) is less than 1%. The odds of miss-wiring in half-winding is much less than miss-wiring in parallel.

Mariss

Thanks for clarifying that Mariss. I wondered why you had recommended half winding instead of parallel. Knew you must have had a good reason, and increasing the odds of getting the wiring right is a very good reason.