584,858 active members*
4,375 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    The reason for two plates is so you only have to zero the first bit to the work piece with the movable plate. Once that is done, the bit is touched off on the fixed plate and the difference is stored. It has nothing to do with the spoil board height at all.

The next time a tool change is called for in the G-Code, the bit is changed and you press Cycle Start then the bit is touched off the fixed plate and now the new bit length is known.

The entire concept of the dual plates is so you do not have to touch each bit off on the work piece which is very handy especially if your original surface has been machined away.

The fixed plate can change heights if needed during spoil board surfacing or whatever, it just can't change after you start a job and reference the first bit.

I hope I explained it well.

Richard
    That helps alot. Thank You. I was stuck on the fact that the spoil board would change.

oh cool, I too learned something new.

Thanks everyone for that quick little discussion. Sometimes even the simplest stuff can be confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the last few days I've managed to get my control box panels designed and cut, assembled, and back in working order. Also did some much needed wire management.
    Attachment 225042Attachment 225044Attachment 225046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393004237.538791.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	273.8 KB 
ID:	225048

Hello SSW....I assume you got the proximity sensors from CNC R P. I was curious about your opinion of these...
    About how far away do they begin to sense? and how consistent do you feel these work? I use microswitches with a little lever arm... seems to work well... but I was wondering if the proximity sensors would be more accurate and repeatable.

THanks
    Awesome machine by the way...

Yes sensors are CRP. It appears to sense about 8mm. Very consistent. One feature alone that makes these nice is the ease in which they can be adjusted. The threads are quite fine so they can be micro-adjusted. When using these on a master/slave setup, squaring the gantry involves very little trial and error. I simply measure the gap, screw the sensor in or out the distance I want to move the gantry, re-home. Done.

I agree that my CRP Homing/Limits sensors work very well also.

Richard

Page 3 of 3 123