585,712 active members*
4,240 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Old dog new tricks

So I anticipate that I will be needing some assistance in the near future. I have been operating my DIY router table for some years now. I use it to make machine parts (mostly aluminum machining) for my small business. I now have a need to plasma cut parts, so I am going to make my machine a plasma/router machine until I have the time to build a dedicated plasma machine. I ordered the MP3000 THC from CANDCNC and just got a longevity 42i machine last week. Making all of this into something useful will be a challenge. Posting questions soon................

Thanks,
    Scott

Designed and built the Z axis torch adapter. Here is an exploded image out of SolidWorks. Adapter allows for pitch and roll adjustment and has a magnetic breakaway feature. Goes on the machine with 4 1/4-20 bolts and takes about 5 minutes to install. It is a floating head type.

Attachment 219450

More progress.

Attachment 219500

Attachment 219502

Attachment 219504

Attachment 219506

Attachment 219508

Attachment 219510

Attachment 219512

Started to read the manual for the installation of the MP3000 THC. First question? I have had Mach3 installed on my machine and have not updated it in about 3 years. It runs super stable and I have no issues. To operate the THC I have to install a never version of Mach3, will all of my machine setups transfer automatically over to the new update or will I have to manually install the machine profile? Any issues or possibilities of corrupting my Mach install??????

Thanks

If you update Mach3 your machine profile will not delete.
    Lightning CNC

You won't lose your existing profile but you won't be able to use it with the MP3000 and the DTHCII. Our Installer puts in not only properly configured Profiles and screen sets (so you can actually use the integrated THC values with MACH3) There are a lot of features that simply won't work with the generic Plasma Profile. You can open your old profile and get the important values like motor tuning and axis slaving settings. The ports and pin settings are critical and making changes without knowing what they do can result in a hair-pulling situation. Since ALL of the control for the DTHCII is through MACH and not by twisting external knobs you need to have the proper controls on the screen and the drivers (plug-ins expect the screen elements to be there and be correct. Using newer SheetCAM TNG and the MP3000 you can take advantang of a new level of control an automation. You can store the DTHC settings in the JOB file and it auto sets up all the DTHC. You can also use loacal stored settings to do the same thing but once you try the DCC options you won't go back to manual entries or even the local stored settings!

The current MACH release has been through extensive testing in our lab and though hundreds of our customers.
    I can understand you reluctance to "fix" something that is not broken in this case the advanced features you are getting ready to enjoy require it. As always we provide phone support, and through our on-line support forum at CandCNC Support Board ? Index page

TOMcaudle
    www.Candcnc.com

Thanks Tom,
    I plan to do this installation this weekend. I have had orders that had to be fulfilled on my machine and I have not yet found the time for the installation. You may here from me on Monday............but I hope not and all is well.

Thanks again,

Scott Sutton

BTW, everything arrived in great shape and everything looks good.

Scott: The Online Support Forum gets monitor on weekends and holidays. It can be valuable resource for after-hours support. We have a forum titled "Help I've Fallen and I can't get up" as well as separate forums for Software and Hardware support.

Wiring up the new table IO card and have a couple of questions:

I have 4 separate NPN prox sensors for homing. One for Z, one for Y, one for X and one more for A (slaved to X) Can I input all 4 of these into 1 input on the table IO card or do I need to put A on a separate input? Mach (I think) homes Z, then Y, then X so all of these could go to one input but what about A sensor? Shouldn't A sensor go to its own input so that it can find home even while X is searching home and square the gantry?

Thanks,
    Scott