585,978 active members*
4,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > Converting an Anilam Crusader M to a PC control - need input

Converting an Anilam Crusader M to a PC control - need input

I have a Supermax VS16 with a non-working Anilam Crusader M control (3 axis). I recently purchased this machine, knowing that the control had issues. I need some input on the best method for getting this running again.
    Here's a list of some things that I want or need:

1. I would prefer to scrap the card cage, but keep the current Servo drives and power supplies, and linear scales (anilam used linear scales instead of rotary encoders). However, I would like the ability to upgrade to better / newer servo drives and / or rotary encoders at a later date.
    2. I want to have a closed loop servo system that works like a servo system. I believe I'll need to use EMC and a motion control board. From what I've read, I believe that this isn't possible with Mach, but not sure.
    3. I'll need some input for hardware requirements for the EMC.
    4. This mill will be run on a weekly basis. The controller will need to be reliable.

I'm mainly looking for suggestions on the best components and software to use. Any info or photos on similar projects would be helpful. I've seen a few projects on this site that are similar, but links to any other well documented projects would be helpful.

Thanks
    mtechserv

Re: Converting an Anilam Crusader M to a PC control - need input

Here's a few pics of the mill in its current state.
    It has a Speed Rite conversion for the spindle. This is a VFD conversion using a Baldor motor and VFD. All of the components in the original mechanical variable speed have been removed and replaced with pulleys and a V-belt. I would like my repaired / upgraded control to have the ability to control the spindle speed through this VFD.

Attachment 235674
    Attachment 235678
    Attachment 235676
    Attachment 235680
    Attachment 235682