586,011 active members*
4,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Some Advice

Hey all,

We're considering buy an EC 2000 for some of the jobs we run. What we don't know is if we need the linear scales package or not. Can anyone tell me what the accuracy of the machine across the length of the table is without the scales? The literature is not much help on this, and I'd like to hear from somebody with some experience.

Thanks in advance,
    Engineernerd

Whatever the saleman claims in their sales literature/pitch, have them certify it as part of the purchase agreement.

THis way, if it doesn' work to spec, you'll have less hassle getting them to:

a. make it work
    b. take it back.

Ask for a name of a somebody locally who has a machine. Give them a call and ask to stop bye for demo/advice on purchase. Most guys will like to show off (unless they're competition) and will be honest about the tech support.

Be careful on how linear scales are used. If it is only for a DRO, it isn't being tied into machine motion hence it is irrelevant to machining accuracy.

Linear scales tied in to the motion cards can be tough to make work propely. Reasib: possible "hunting" caused by machine hysterisis versus electrical feedback limitations. It is doable but tough...

Engineernerd, I don't know if you already saw this but there is a good thread about this very topic on (another) forum:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...c/13/3181.html

Be aware that the spindle is bottomed at 11.5 inches above the table. We have an EC-1600 with rotary table so the spindle bottoms at 5.5 inches above the table.

Thanks everybody for pointing me towards some good information.

Engineernerd