585,761 active members*
3,989 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Practical cnc to Mach conversion

Can some one tell me what I would need to convert a practicalcnc router with wincnc to Machx? And if I would gain anything over the Wincnc?

Thank you

PCNC Upgrade to Machx

Due to the machine not being any better you probably would not benefit anything. The only improvement would be in the ability to add a working ATHC if you are cutting with plasma. You will need to pull out the wincnc, replace the PCI card with two parallel port cards. You at least need one parallel port. You would have to figure out the pin outs for the PCNC control box so you could wire in the step & direction ports. Personally you should just sell the table and buy another one that works right instead of attempting to make the PCNC a fully functioning machine.

Sid

Sid,
    Thank you for the reply. I would sell the thing but I am making money with it!
    Believe me the next one will not be a Practical cnc!

So the Mach software will not work with the Wincnc cards?

PCNC UpGrade

No, The wincnc card will not work with Mach at all. Its really too bad because Mach3 has so many nice options that wincnc does not offer. I have had wincnc on a PCNC table and I like Mach3 much better. I sold my PracticalCNC table a while back because it did not work and I lost a few contracts. They did not help me with getting it running right.

Sid

After seeing this thread it made me go and check out their web site. I was amazed at the high price for thier software and the little it could do compared to Mach that is a fraction of the price. What sort of stepper drivers does your machine have installed on it? If they are step direction drivers you stand a good chance of doing such a conversion. If they are not, then the only way is to change the stepper drives to something like a Gecko driver card.

Benny,
    The stepper drives are from IMS (Intelligent Motion Systems)IM483
    http://www.imshome.com/Product%20Datasheets/im483.pdf
    This must be a step & direction drive right?
    So if this is true, I would need the pinout of the wincnc to the control box, a couple of new cards for the computer and the mach software?

Also the power supply is only 150 watt 48v and the motors are pacific scientific rated @ 3 amps each. Should I up grade that to something beefier?

Thank you for your help.