584,837 active members*
5,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Arrow 500 power supply need help

Arrow 500 power supply need help

I have an arrow 500, 97 model. I'm having power supply problems in the CPU. Previously I have had to have 3 boards repaired and then the power supply went out. It had been replaced with an Athens power supply. I replaced it with the same thing and the machine works except for the computer just shuts down when in use. I have been directed by Dave at Siemens to purchase their power supply. Does anyone have experience with using one other than Seimens? Also, does anyone run one of these machines off of a phase converter? I am using a phase converter and I am wondering if this could possibly be causing the issues. Since putting in the new power supply I started running the CPU on a 115 vac to eliminate the possibility of my incoming electric causing this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Leon Mathis

In the early days of this control, the power supplies used had some issues, which caused other problems (I replaced a few hard drives in 96-97 before I realized the power supply was causing them to fail). After a couple years, they sorted out the power supply issues and I have not had issues with them since.

Most customers don't want to spend several hundred dollars on a power supply when they can buy one online for $30, but every time I have had to replace a power supply in the last 10 years, it has been a cheap one that the customer bought online. My point is, the Siemens power supplies last and the cheap ones don't.

For my customer's that don't want to spend that much on a power supply, I do have a less expensive one as an option that I have used for years with good results. If you are interested in trying one, send me a PM.

Many people run off of phase converters, so that alone is not going to be a problem, however, power issues can cause issues. Is your power at the correct voltage range for the machine? Are the legs balanced?, etc.

Which control do you have? Your post reminds me of exactly what happened to my machine. Ultimately I got tired of fixing it and retrofitted the thing.

Pete

Hi Pete thanks for responding. Its a acramatic 2100, I should have put that in my post. I put another PS in last night and it ran A couple hours fine. I have a few hours of work this weekend so that should tell.I do have intrest in hereing more about your retrofit if you dont mind sharing. Thanks Leon

Leon,
    Good luck with it man. I do not have that control nor do I have experience with it. Only thing I can say is that ensure your input power is correct. Also my machine has a largish transformer underneath the main electronics box. It has taps to input the correct voltages into the main electronics. You need to ensure that the power going in to your drives is tapped off the correct ones or you can be overvoltaging the drives. When I received mine it is one of the things I needed to check that was recommended to me by Rob varney of mag. If it is incorrect it can cause all sorts of problems. Not sure if your machine has this at all so may be a moot point. Good luck man. Peace

Pete

If you can find an AT power supply at a computer store it will work. They just dont last very long. The best solution is also the most expensive. Bite the bullet and purchase the factory replacement.

I replaced the PS with an Athens and it seems to be working fine now.

Re: Arrow 500 power supply need help

The Athens 300 and 250 watt power supply made in China are JUNK JUNK JUNK and cause all kinds of problems with the control and the machine. I have seen the Athens power blow out hard drives and boards and may last 6 months. I suggest that you purchase a 230 watt StarTech drive it cost 10 or 15$ more but you get what you pay for. We have been using them for some time and have had good results. Just remember to put the switch in 220 volt mode.

Mike cncmachineservices (dot) com

Maverick and Dave lyle are 100% correct when the say buy genuine,if you look inside these power supplies although only 250w they carry very heavy duty components compared to the cheaper items, quite often the little fan will quit and the thing overheats causing components to cook,a good elect repair guy should be able to fix it if you know one, on the other hand Mav's solution sounds good to go,man they pull some weird faults when the start to fail.

Thanks for the info everyone. Since I replaced the PS and started just plugging it in to 110 out let its been doing fine. I believe my problem was the phase converter producing the wild leg and it was powering one leg of the PS to the computer. I will check in to the StarTech.