584,866 active members*
5,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Please Help! Going Crazy

Lord I need help so bad. Ive got a friend who is a chiropractor who asked if I could cut him a spine on my shopsabre cnc machine. ive been trying for a solid week to turn a jpg file into a dxf file. it just aint working. I just started working with my cnc and i'm about to pull my hair out. can someone please help me with a spine dxf file?

Blaire Page

DXF is usually a 2D format; is that what you're trying to get? If so, start with a clear ink drawing and trace it in your CAD program by hand - none of the automatic tracing programs work very well. Then save it as DXF and treat it as an engraving in your CAM software.

If what you really want is a low-relief 3D spine, use a program that has the ability to generate a "heightfield" from a gray-scale image. For that, you want an image which is smoothly shaded, so that the highest points are lightest and the lowest ones are darkest. Save it as an STL, and treat it like a mesh in your CAM program, carving it with a ball-nose endmill. If you don't have a program that can do that, take a look at DeskProto: DeskProto: 3D CNC machining for non-machinists. STL file milling for any CNC milling machine You can use it for a month before the demo times out.

Of course, if you want to carve a spine that's accurate and in the round or in high relief, then start with a 3D scan of a real spine, like this one: Thoracic & Lumbar Spine by hyla - Thingiverse (the "lumbar half stl" would make a good high relief).

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Thank you Andrew! Yeah, I'm just doing the 2D format. I've been trying to use the BoBCadCam and Enroute vectorizing software and I cant get either one to turn out, but I hadn't found that great of a pic either. I know pic quality makes a huge difference. Im gonna try the tracing process. Normal pics and signs are not problem, but this spine thing is just a little too detailed. (: Thanks again

type in google, ""spine lineart"" ""spine clipart""

or other keywords..

about 2 min search I found these.. thereare many more..

http://m1.behance.net/rendition/modu...c4812fc1df.png

http://images.clipartof.com/small/11...lustration.jpg

you also can try a 3d model.. flattening out to relief.. just like Andrew suggested you..