585,719 active members*
4,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > induced voltage danger?

Exclamation induced voltage danger?

I hope it's OK to post this here, I couldn't seem to find a good catagory. Move it if needed, just tell me where it went!

I bought a CNC router that was nearly complete. It had been used some, but the wires were all free to roam. I added wire carriers and it's all nice and neat now, BUT, I thought of the bright idea of adding an extention cord through the wire carriers to power the router motor. Now I'm having second thoughts before I use it. The motor wires for the X and Z go through the carriers along with the extention cord for 110V. Might I encounter a problem? If so, what problems? I just don't want to cause smoke. What do you do with the power cord for the router?

Thanks for any input!

Fred

I would think steppers are too high current/ high voltage devices for it to matter at all. I would worry much more if it were a parallel cable or something else (besides the power cable) directly connected to the computer.
    ---
    router finally being built!
    y axis done!
    hobbycnc controller done!
    ...mounting nsk rails and thk rail. aligning leadscrews

bkukowski. I admire the speed at which you gather your knowledge. When I was your age, I was also puzzling. But you are developing overview, I mean looking beyond the details. Keep in mind that this capacity can bring you beyond what you're doing now and your current interests. Whatever you are going to do, I wish you all the luck in the world. And don't neglect study.

Carel

Quote Originally Posted by Oaktreeman
    I hope it's OK to post this here, I couldn't seem to find a good catagory. Move it if needed, just tell me where it went!

I bought a CNC router that was nearly complete. It had been used some, but the wires were all free to roam. I added wire carriers and it's all nice and neat now, BUT, I thought of the bright idea of adding an extention cord through the wire carriers to power the router motor. Now I'm having second thoughts before I use it. The motor wires for the X and Z go through the carriers along with the extention cord for 110V. Might I encounter a problem? If so, what problems? I just don't want to cause smoke. What do you do with the power cord for the router?

Thanks for any input!

Fred
    The most common problem would be lost steps.
    Most people carry all cables together.
    The screening of cables helps a lot.
    You should try and keep the parallel runs as short as possible.
    Wider cable tracks that allow a little seperation of the cables can also help avoid problems.
    All said, if you don't have a problem then I wouldn't worry too much, but keep it in the back of your mind in case you change something and problems occur. This could be something like replacing the router and things start to go wrong.
    Paul

wire carriers

Thank you for the input. I feel better now. There is enough room for me to separate the wires a bit inside the carriers. I'll do that & let 'er rip!

I started thinking more about this issue for my own setup (running vga lcd cables and such with power cables in a single conduit) and thought about ferrites at first. I think I found a better solution though. Run the cables through a length of tinned copper shielding, the braided kind you often see around coax cables. There's some on ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/Cable-Shielding-...mZ7622226277QQ

fkaCarel- Thank you for the kind words. I definitely won't be neglecting study as I'll be entering college in a few months for Computer Engineering. Today was my last day of high school
    ---
    router finally being built!
    y axis done!
    hobbycnc controller done!
    ...mounting nsk rails and thk rail. aligning leadscrews