584,858 active members*
4,558 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach 770 delivered to Canada

I have been looking at a number of milling machines and the Tormach 770 is definitely an interesting option.I live in Southern British Columbia,Canada and I am wondering if there are any Canadian owners of this machine that would let me know what the costs were to have it delivered to there door from the Tormach warehouse.
    Thanks,
    Rob

I am also in Canada (southern Ontario) and purchased a 770 last year. If you request a quote from Tormach they will provide a firm price for delivery to your workshop. The cost from Tormach will not include customs clearance charges (admin charges). You can do it yourself if you have time to travel to a port of entry. I chose to use a customs broker. The mill is duty free but you'll have to pay HST/GST+PST as applicable. Private message me if you want to discuss further.

Quote Originally Posted by voere View Post
    I have been looking at a number of milling machines and the Tormach 770 is definitely an interesting option.I live in Southern British Columbia,Canada and I am wondering if there are any Canadian owners of this machine that would let me know what the costs were to have it delivered to there door from the Tormach warehouse.
    Thanks,
    Rob
    If you're in Canada, you should also check out the Novakon machines, as they're a Canadian company, located in Toronto. Their new Pulsar mill might well come out considerably lower total cost, and it is a really sweet little machine, roughly the same size as the PCNC770 (actually, a bit larger), but with a servo spindle, and available with servos on all axes.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I haven't compared the prices of the two machines nor the merits of the Pulsar versus the 770. However, I'm curious why you suggest that it would be cheaper simply because the manufacturer is in Canada. There is no duty on imports and the taxes are the same regardless of the country of origin. I believe that Tormach is actually closer to BC than Toronto to BC.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I haven't compared the prices of the two machines nor the merits of the Pulsar versus the 770. However, I'm curious why you suggest that it would be cheaper simply because the manufacturer is in Canada. There is no duty on imports and the taxes are the same regardless of the country of origin. I believe that Tormach is actually closer to BC than Toronto to BC.
    I assumed there would likely be customs duty, and perhaps VAT/HST/GST+PST or something like that. I'm used to dealing with European countries, where ALL imports get hit with VAT, which can be almost 20%. I'm not familiar with how things work in Canada, but here in the states, if I buy something from a California company, I have to pay sales tax, which is 8-9%. I can order the same product from a company in another state, and pay no sales tax at all. Depending on where it's going, shipping could be considerably less as well, if Novakon is closer than Tormach. I know shipping and customs on my two Novakon mills was about $1K each from Toronto to the SF Bay area.

Regards,
    Ray L.

In most of Canada VAT, called HST, is collected at the same rate regardless of source and destination of a product. That is, an Ontario purchaser pays 13% VAT on products from either the US or elsewhere in Canada. There is no duty on machine tools (harmonized tariff item 8459.61.90). Truck freight for my PCNC770 + stand + coolant + 4th axis + TTS goodies + etc was $893.61 delivered without a loading dock to a small town 60 miles east of Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    If you're in Canada, you should also check out the Novakon machines, as they're a Canadian company, located in Toronto. Their new Pulsar mill might well come out considerably lower total cost, and it is a really sweet little machine, roughly the same size as the PCNC770 (actually, a bit larger), but with a servo spindle, and available with servos on all axes.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thanks for all the feedback.I have had a look on the Novakon website and their products look good.I've got an e-mail sent asking them to outline the differences between the Torus and Pulsar machines.The Tormach 770 is interesting for the 10,000 RPM spindle and that it comes apart into easily managed parts.The Canadian Dollar is gone a little south right now so that may be a consideration if purchasing from
    Tormach.Novakon has the servo spindle which is an interesting feature and they are very competitive in their pricing.I'm going to take my time and ask questions on these forums and the two vendors.Keep the feedback coming,any info is appreciated.

If you think you can make the PCNC 1100 work for you, I have one with with less than 10 hours on it that I am going to sell. The machine is in the Vancouver area.
    604-936-five eight three six.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
    If you think you can make the PCNC 1100 work for you, I have one with with less than 10 hours on it that I am going to sell. The machine is in the Vancouver area.
    604-936-five eight three six.
    Thank you very much for the offer but a machine the size of the 770 would work better for me.
    Rob

As does anything manufactured domestically.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I'm used to dealing with European countries, where ALL imports get hit with VAT, which can be almost 20%.