585,754 active members*
3,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > axis moves one direction. help

axis moves one direction. help

Hi all. I just got my motors installed and my z axis only moves down. This is reguardless if i hit + or - when jogging. If i switch motors i have the same problem. If i hook the z motor up to another axis it will jog + and -. I have checked pins and plugs and it matches what the manual says. Anyone have some things i should check?

I have the mx3660, ethernet smooth stepper and nema 23 motors all around.

Thanks in advance.

Check the step/direction signal connection to motor driver. The "direction" part is missing/disconnected.

Thanks for the quick reply. im out of house but i think its pin 8 or 9. Would i be checking that number pin on the connector? It should be 5v when activated?

Your correct. I didnt have the manual in front of me but i did when checking in mach 3. Z axis uses pins 6 and 7. Im having problems measuring the voltage though. I think pins 17 through 25 are ground according to manual but not sure.

Im curious where i should be measure the voltage across. Pin 7 (direction) and any one of the grounds or is there another pin I should be using?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
    I think pins 17 through 25 are ground according to manual but not sure.
    Correct.

Im curious where i should be measure the voltage across. Pin 7 (direction) and any one of the grounds or is there another pin I should be using?
    Correct, you should measure between pins 7 and 18-25.
    Are all 18 to 25 connected to GND - that depends on your break out board (BOB). I guess you could use ohmmeter to test whether the pins 18 to 25 are connected to each other.

Since your "direction" bit doesn't work for Z axis, it's pretty safe to assume you won't measure anything on pin 7, MX3660 side. Try tracking the signal "upwards" from there, to BOB and ESS. Using G-code to drive Z up and down (while motor disconnected or not powered) with short interval, in loop, should help.

Thanks for your help. I wasnt getting the 5v when measured at the end of the db25 cable. I checked for continuity and nothing on pin 7. Im using an add on connector and after reinstalling the connector I have signal on pin 7. Everything moves now.