584,862 active members*
5,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Relocation Detection Device

Exclamation Relocation Detection Device

Machinery, Import/Export, International law. As of 2007, Citizen Machinery began installing move sensors or relocation detection devices on their CNC machines. 3 axis Piezo electric gyros. Their rationale is to maintain import/export compliance through the life of the machine, beyond the customers control. The system works by detecting physical movement of the machine, which triggers an alarm, disabling the machine and requiring a password be obtained from CMA - Citizen Machinery America in order to reset the machine to a working condition. In theory, the presence of this device should cause no major issue post installation. However, my experience and the experiences of other customers has been repeated false triggering of the alarm. This of course, has cost us significant down time and cost. Of which, CMA is unwilling to compensate customers for. I have two particular issues with this method of compliance. 1st - once a piece of equipment is sold in compliance with law, it becomes the responsibility of the new owner. Citizen Machinery would no longer have a responsibility to ensure compliance with any regulation local/national or international after transfer of ownership. 2nd - Once paid in full, the equipment is the exclusive property of the customer (in the US). Any attempt to inhibit their use beyond the completed sale is a clear property rights violation. Any opinions are welcome. I will never purchase a new Citizen or any other machine equipped with this type of device again. It is my opinion, that Citizen's choice to employ this method of compliance is ignorant and disrespectful to their customers. When I pressed them on the issue their response was governmental ie. "There is nothing we can do." If a business is not an advocate for their customers, they can expect a slow agonizing death." Good luck Citizen!

I think this innovation is good provided that the issue on the false triggering of the alarm is addressed.
    For Machinery Relocation, trust only Hanlon & Wright

Re: Relocation Detection Device

I have two A32s one does ok only needs a code about once a year. The other must go dancing with the gremlins at night for it needs a code about every three months. This will put your machine down for at least half a shift if you have good customer service. When you don't it takes the whole day. And what will I do if they happen to be closed the next time this happens or once it is considered obsolete and unsupported? Use it as a $270,000 paper weight. Yes, I might be a bit bitter as I sit here waiting for a code. again.

Ask citizen to change the movement detector to the newer version

Any chance anyone has any wiring or logic (I/O signal) information for any of these. I'm specifically looking for an A-32 (probably 3 years old), but citizen most likely uses the same logic for most of their machines, so info from any model would probably be helpful. Looking like there's only 9 wires on the cable between the I/O board and the relocation device (CN-9 on I/O board), which is basically just a mercury a switch. 2 of them are obviously battery power. Citizen was so nice to leave everything related to this out of their wiring diagrams..I've got a dead machine, which won't take a password, replaced detection device, rang out cable,about to swap out I/O board, when that doesn't work, I'll need to stop parts swapping and start diagnosing. I can probably start back tracing from the alarms in the Ladder, but I'd bet they didn't label anything related to this in there either..