585,754 active members*
3,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alibre vs Solidworks

Hi All,

Now that Alibre has been out for awhile and if you were looking for a design software which would you pick and why? Price is not a issue on this question, just ease of use and learning curve.

spottiepop

Inventor. But if I had to pick between the two, Solidworks without a question.

You would have to pay me an awfull lot for me to stop using SolidWorks
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

if cost isnt an option(yeah right), solidworks without hesitation.. for many many reasons...

the downside to SW vs alibre is about a 400% price difference

Talking

So if I was looking at purchasing OneCNCXR2 as my CAM system does that even lean the favor toward SW even more? At this time I am open because I don't have a system and want something that works hand in hand. I know! I know! money is always an issue but I would much rather spend the extra if it leads to less head aches, less time to learn, etc. I was really looking for the advantages vesus the disadvantages of the two. I am open to suggestions!

spottiepop

If you download Alibre Xpress, they'll email you special offers on their full versions, usually around $500 off. For that price you can probably get OneCNC and Alibre for about the price of Solidworks alone. Unless you need the features that Solidworks has and Alibre doesn't, it's kinda hard to justify the extra few $$$.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

OneCNC will soon be able to read native solidworks files.

I had read on the forum that OneCNC works well with SW and on their web site they advertize as a SW partner. Are there any issues transfering files back and forth between Alibre and OneCNC? What are the features that seperate the two? Is it actually in the modeling or more in the bom and collaboration tools? I have the Alibre express, was one of the first 100,000 and have the extras but not what you are talking about I would assume. I do like the idea of spending $1500 - $1800 and not $6k for a design software but who wouldn't, the difference would buy alot of tooling and materials. I work with CAM at work and understand that end but need help with what bells and whistles that are really needed on the design side and what is just fluff.

spottiepop

Hi Scottiepop,

I have Alibre and OneCNC. I haven't had any issues importing STEP or IGES files from Alibre to OneCNC with Alibre V8.2 or the latest version V9.0.

In addition to having the ability to model in Alibre, I also have OneCNC's modeling features in their Expert version.

Regarding your question, I believe Alibre is a sound 3D parametric modeler with all the basic and some advanced features. I have no experience with Solidworks, but I am pretty sure Alibre lacks many of the advanced features that Solidworks has. Not to say you would ever miss those features, but nonetheless it is not as feature rich as SW. This is my impression of course, nothing more.

Regarding your modeling needs, if you need a parametric modeler that can create drawings and/or a BOM's, than certainly consider SW or Alibre. If all you need is to model 3D parts and create toolpaths to machine, then do consider OneCNC Professional, since it will take care of both of these tasks nicely. OneCNC does have one advantage in that it is a Hybrid modeler and can create and manipulate surfaces in addition to solids. You would be surprised how versatile this feature really is. Modeling assemblies while simultaneously creating parts in OneCNC is also easily accomplished.

Just some food for thought.

Regards,
    Chris

IMO this discussion is more or less based on PART creation.
    General tooling, die components, and part creation for CAM is easily accomplished in CAM software with modelling ability such as OneCNC or MasterCam.
    SolidWorks really isnt a necessity of a machine shop, but is definately a requirement of a "design and machine" shop especially where working assemblies that interrelate are built.

Hi DareBee,

I was really looking at the design software for future growth and the ability to take what someone brings you on a napkin and turn it into something usable(BOM, 2D drawings,& collaboration abilities), not really a CAM systems strong point, at least not the ones i've worked with. I understand that turning out parts is a shops first priority, but it never hurts to look at the other side of the coin.

spottiepop

Agreed Spottie.
    We do a lot of design, complete automated equipment and sheet metal; CAM modeling is not an option for me. Sometimes a customer sends me a model of the finished part and I design the fixture around the part - much easier than the old way of making a generic fixture and trying to get the part to fit on it.
    A lot of my customers use SolidWorks and a lot of potential customers contact me because I design with it.

I still feel that if all that is needed to be done is model A part for machining the integrated CAM modelling is more than capable.

Red face

Well Guys I broke down and bought Alibre Pro today, I did the online demo and was pretty impressed with what I saw. I can't complain about the deal as they had a haif price promotion on the pro series, I also got the training cd's. I would agree that SW is more feature rich but alas I just could not justify the aditional cost being a new start-up business and just getting into the whole 3D design process. Maybe I won't even do that much design work but you have to have an edge or something extra that you can offer a customer to get them to take that second look, at least it sounds good on your business plan write! :cheers:

congrats, I hope everything works out and you get alot of work. Investing in the future of your company goes a long way. The money you saved is a bonus also.
    You can buy tooling and materials or pay for some formal training on you software. Do you have Onecnc also, or is that a future purchase?

Lightbulb

Make sure that SW supports your Graphics Card. The have a comparision chart on their website.

www.solidworks.com

tobyaxis :cheers:

Sorry! it took so long to get back and post, been busy. I don't have OneCNC yet and will probably leave that to be a future purchase for now. I have enjoyed working on the tutorials and going through the videos, I think Alibre will suit me fine for the type of work I will be doing with 3D modeling and then some. Have my first order of parts set-up, having alittle machine trouble but will be up and machining soon. :cheers: